Middle pot cold

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Mr Bonehead

Re: Middle pot cold

Post by Mr Bonehead »

stevewharton wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:40 am
teazer wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:11 pm Treat the poor thing to a set of new iridium plugs and test for spark on all three before you button it up.

You could probably use any plug, but Iridium tend to fire more reliably in difficult conditions.
+1 on iridium plugs, had them in my 750 for 1000's of miles without them missing a beat. Better starting and running, more mpg, less maintenance and cheaper in the long run. Have a good look on ebay for the best price, some sellers offer lower prices for more than one plug :D
Thanks for the reply stevewharton,unfortunately one of the joys of brexit and living in france is the sudden increase in postage from the UK ,a plug over there on eBay is about £8 but £10 postage and the equivalent over here is €25 ,cheap wine though :D
MrB
BATTS

Post by BATTS »

I know you've said the carbs are fresh from refurbing but I had the same problem centre cylinder as well, did all the usual timing (Accent ignition) new plugs, plug leads checked etc etc. Took the carbs off and put the bowl into an ultrasonic cleaner and lo and behold a load of crap came out of the passages in the casting. I can only assume that the first tank of fuel had a load of detritus in. Baz will have tested them with a known very clean fuel source.
Chris
76 GT750, 78 GT550, BMW K1600gtl
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Mr Bonehead wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:44 am
teazer wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:11 pm Treat the poor thing to a set of new iridium plugs and test for spark on all three before you button it up.

You could probably use any plug, but Iridium tend to fire more reliably in difficult conditions.
+1 on iridium plugs, had them in my 750 for 1000's of miles without them missing a beat. Better starting and running, more mpg, less maintenance and cheaper in the long run. Have a good look on ebay for the best price, some sellers offer lower prices for more than one plug :D
Thanks for the reply stevewharton,unfortunately one of the joys of brexit and living in france is the sudden increase in postage from the UK ,a plug over there on eBay is about £8 but £10 postage and the equivalent over here is €25 ,cheap wine though :D
MrB
No suppliers in France??? Or did you mean the plugs cost €25 over there??? If so just go with the wine ;)
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

stevewharton wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:09 pm
MrB
No suppliers in France??? Or did you mean the plugs cost €25 over there??? If so just go with the wine ;)
No suppliers where I am ,can get them via eBay .fr and the likes but €50+ for 3 then delivery on top for the iridium one's and for some strange reason they cost more for delivery from Germany
Cheers MrB
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Mr Bonehead wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:25 pm

MrB
No suppliers where I am ,can get them via eBay .fr and the likes but €50+ for 3 then delivery on top for the iridium one's and for some strange reason they cost more for delivery from Germany
Cheers MrB
That's crazy! I've just bought two iridium plugs for the Enfield through ebay UK, £18 for both with the second a bit cheaper for a multiple purchase, and with freepost. Come back to the UK mate, even the wine's not too bad here ;)
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

If the link works, I paid £9.85 per plug delivered.

h1ttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283868626811

Paul
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Harrymail wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:09 pm If the link works, I paid £9.85 per plug delivered.

h1ttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283868626811

Paul
Cheers Paul,£18 delivery to France so not worth it
Cheers MrB
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

stevewharton wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:59 pm
Mr Bonehead wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:25 pm
Cheers MrB
That's crazy! I've just bought two iridium plugs for the Enfield through ebay UK, £18 for both with the second a bit cheaper for a multiple purchase, and with freepost. Come back to the UK mate, even the wine's not too bad here ;)
In the process of buying a holiday home in the UK so I can come over with a campervan for the race season with the drag bike on tow,bring all my chrome work I need doing and a shopping list of parts ,a good bottle of red here is €2 !!!!!
Cheers Mr B
slosher

Post by slosher »

What ever you do Steve don't try and gap them fit as they come doh ask me how i know :oops: :oops:

There's also been some dodgy NGK's on fleebay just beware ;)

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

slosher wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:01 pm

What ever you do Steve don't try and gap them fit as they come doh ask me how i know :oops: :oops:

There's also been some dodgy NGK's on fleebay just beware ;)

Cheers Dave
Hi Dave, I bought mine from a reputable and well known company, after speaking with them through ebays "ask the seller a question" and being wary about dodgy copies being sold. They were very knowledgable and advised which was the correct iridium plugs for my new Enfield Intercepter, they also said the gaps are set and shouldn't be reset. Put three in the kettle about five years ago and I don't think it's ever run better :D