Middle pot cold

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Mr Bonehead

Middle pot cold

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Hi all hope everyone is keeping safe and sane ,just put my refurbished carbs back on the GT750 (cheers Baz) bit lumpy on tick over so went for a quick spin,very sluggish ,got back and the center pot was cold so obviously as they're known for getting too hot there lies the problem,before I hold my head in my hands could it be simply that I need a new plug?the bike has been un used for 8 yrs but turned over by kick start and drip of 2stroke oil down barrels regularly to keep from seizing also blocked the exhaust ends up and carb inlets whilst awaiting the restoration commencement to stop damp creeping in
Cheers MrB
PS I'm in france and we don't have lockdown just 6pm to 6am curfew so no rules broken
teazer

Re: Middle pot cold

Post by teazer »

Treat the poor thing to a set of new iridium plugs and test for spark on all three before you button it up.

You could probably use any plug, but Iridium tend to fire more reliably in difficult conditions.
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

teazer wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:11 pm Treat the poor thing to a set of new iridium plugs and test for spark on all three before you button it up.

You could probably use any plug, but Iridium tend to fire more reliably in difficult conditions.
Cheers Teazer,going to swop them around tomorrow just to make sure,wasn't sure if it was something a bit more serious but the other two pipes were too hot to touch so they must be ok,at least I can rule out the carburettors
MrB
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Just remove the carb bowl drain screw to check there is fuel in the bowl. Funny things happen to floats, especially if they have been treated to the tender mercy of the postal system. It could be as simple as a stuck float
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

canaletto5 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:45 pm Just remove the carb bowl drain screw to check there is fuel in the bowl. Funny things happen to floats, especially if they have been treated to the tender mercy of the postal system. It could be as simple as a stuck float
Thanks for the reply caneletto5,I'll give that a try as well,as you say sometimes you look at the packaging on a parcel and it looks like it's been kicked all the way from England to France :cry:
slosher

Post by slosher »

Mr Bonehead wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:58 pm ) bit lumpy on tick over so went for a quick spin,very sluggish ,got back and the center pot was cold so obviously as they're known for getting too hot there lies the problem
Hi MrB when your saying the middle pot is cold are you suggesting it,s not firing :?: or the header pipe is not as hot as the the two outside pipes,if so it may be down to carb balancing just a thought :)
PS Any difference with the condition of the plugs ie colour ;)
Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
apwrigs

Post by apwrigs »

Mr B, I would suggest firstly that your getting a decent spark to the middle pot.
If you are then it's down to fuel. Start the bike up from cold on choke and just see if the middle one gets hot then. If it does, and then cools off when you nock the choke of, you may have some blockage in the pilot jet air ways in the bowl. Remove the bowl and check all the small galleways are clear. Hope this helps a little.
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

slosher wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:30 am
Mr Bonehead wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:58 pm ) bit lumpy on tick over so went for a quick spin,very sluggish ,got back and the center pot was cold so obviously as they're known for getting too hot there lies the problem
Hi MrB when your saying the middle pot is cold are you suggesting it,s not firing :?: or the header pipe is not as hot as the the two outside pipes,if so it may be down to carb balancing just a thought :)
PS Any difference with the condition of the plugs ie colour ;)
Cheers Dave
Hi slosher,thanks for the reply,I've just had the carbs refurbished by Baz so they've been tested and balanced,the problem is the spark plug,I tested it today and there's no spark,was ok when I sent the carbs off,tried a car plug in the lead and got a spark but cannot buy a plug one local as I live in France so ordered one off the internet
Cheers MrB
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

apwrigs wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:16 pm Mr B, I would suggest firstly that your getting a decent spark to the middle pot.
If you are then it's down to fuel. Start the bike up from cold on choke and just see if the middle one gets hot then. If it does, and then cools off when you nock the choke of, you may have some blockage in the pilot jet air ways in the bowl. Remove the bowl and check all the small galleways are clear. Hope this helps a little.
Hi apwrigs,thanks for the reply ,tested the spark plug out of the pot and No spark,tried a spare one in the lead and sparked so ordered a new plug ,
Cheers Mr B
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

teazer wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:11 pm Treat the poor thing to a set of new iridium plugs and test for spark on all three before you button it up.

+1 on iridium plugs, had them in my 750 for 1000's of miles without them missing a beat. Better starting and running, more mpg, less maintenance and cheaper in the long run. Have a good look on ebay for the best price, some sellers offer lower prices for more than one plug :D
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".