Wrapped baffles

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Trev1958

Wrapped baffles

Post by Trev1958 »

If I remember, the baffles were wrapped from new. Does it make any difference if they are wrapped or not, ie sound or perhaps back pressure??
barney01

Re: Wrapped baffles

Post by barney01 »

Hi. Yes the baffles were originally wrapped as a noise reduction ploy. The trouble is the wadding soon becomes caked in oil and things become very messy! Most people just strip it off and put it in the bin.
It makes the bike sound as it should IMHO but some like the muffled sound.
It wont affect the back pressure if you discard it.
If you do want the wadding google Yambits i am led to believe they aell it.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Trev1958

Post by Trev1958 »

Great thanks.
itsnotateapot

Post by itsnotateapot »

Sorry Barney i have to disagree with you, i have seen a dealers service schedule from the 70s stating that on the first service that the oil pump is to be backed off from running in position and set to normal running position, and remove baffle wadding and discard leaving the baffle unwrapped, this suzuki dealer came to the conclusion that the wadding was only put on to soak up the extra oil from running in.
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

First time i have heard that. I know Mike Reardon kept the wadding because he liked the sound better. Still you learn something every day eh? :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
itsnotateapot

Post by itsnotateapot »

Barney I learn something new every day it comes from my missis telling me i have not done this or that what she told me to do a week ago, :o :o
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
Trev1958

Post by Trev1958 »

Must admit that I prefer the softer quieter sound with the wadding, but you are right in saying they soon get soaked with oil.
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

I wrapped mine last year and to be fair the sound was somewhat nicer, right up to the point where the centre cylinder kicks in with it's baffle plates missing! At that point the wadding is neither use nore ornament due to the" wuffing" middle pipes!!
slosher

Post by slosher »

itsnotateapot wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:55 pm Sorry Barney i have to disagree with you, i have seen a dealers service schedule from the 70s stating that on the first service that the oil pump is to be backed off from running in position and set to normal running position, and remove baffle wadding and discard leaving the baffle unwrapped, this suzuki dealer came to the conclusion that the wadding was only put on to soak up the extra oil from running in.
+1 can remember the Suzuki Center in Cannock advising exactly that ;) i do think that 70's 2stroke oil would harden off and carbon up on piston crowns more so than today's modern oil's only my opinion with that guy's however we were using them then as daily commuters :lol:
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
teazer

Post by teazer »

Barney,
Please tell me you didn't buy that old folklore tale. I don't doubt that a mechanic said and even possibly a dealer back in the day. In this day and age, they could end up in court but back in the day, people cold say whatever they wanted.

The wadding is designed to reduce noise and is used in almost all aftermarket two stroke mufflers. And it works. The GT also has a sound deadening panty liner further forward in the pipe. It's a perforated steel sheet welded to the pipe and filled with sound absorbing material.

The rest of the muffler design is a mix of reactive designs to reduce the sound energy as the gas and sound waves move from chamber to chamber. Modern 2 smoke mufflers are straight through absorbtion design using the same sort of fiberglass wool as our old GTs.

Going back to the folklore, if the wadding was only there to absorb oil in the first few miles, why did Suzuki sell replacement baffles with the same wadding? Because it reduces the noise.