First run

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Mr Bonehead

First run

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Hi all,finally got the new spark plug in and is firing on all 3 at last ,had a blast round the village and seems ok,does seem to need a bit of winding up though and seems to like the revs over 4000 but with not having ridden one before not sure if this is the norm.Saw a post on here about not running certain condensing spark plug caps with certain plugs ,wondered if there are any not to's concerning boyer bransden units,like certain spark plug types or non standard plug caps .
Cheers MrB
Mr Bonehead

Re: First run

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Mr Bonehead wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:47 pm Hi all,finally got the new spark plug in and is firing on all 3 at last ,had a blast round the village and seems ok,does seem to need a bit of winding up though and seems to like the revs over 4000 but with not having ridden one before not sure if this is the norm.Saw a post on here about not running certain condensing spark plug caps with certain plugs ,wondered if there are any not to's concerning boyer bransden units,like certain spark plug types or non standard plug caps .Just another while I have your attention ,asked recently about best adhesive for head gasket water cooled decals,tried double sided tape but they come off when the engines warm
Cheers MrB
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Personally, I always use non resistor plugs and plug caps on my points fitted bikes, but with electronic ignition systems, you need resistor caps, apparently.
Stick on decals eh? The stuff on the decals I had made Clicky linky is still there nearly four years on.
Must try and get the guy to do some more......
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
slosher

Post by slosher »

Mr Bonehead wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:47 pm seems ok,does seem to need a bit of winding up though and seems to like the revs over 4000 but with not having ridden one before not sure if this is the norm.
Cheers MrB
Hi MrB
Assuming it's an "A" yes they tend to be a little bit dopey up to about 4000 rpm after that they fly so perhaps the norm.
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Alan H wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:23 am Personally, I always use non resistor plugs and plug caps on my points fitted bikes, but with electronic ignition systems, you need resistor caps, apparently.
Stick on decals eh? The stuff on the decals I had made Clicky linky is still there nearly four years on.
Hi Alan H ,thanks for the reply,,probably a stupid question but how do you tell the difference between the resister and non resister caps :?:
Cheers MrB
Last edited by Mr Bonehead on Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

slosher wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:13 am
Mr Bonehead wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:47 pm seems ok,does seem to need a bit of winding up though and seems to like the revs over 4000 but with not having ridden one before not sure if this is the norm.
Cheers MrB
Hi MrB
Assuming it's an "A" yes they tend to be a little bit dopey up to about 4000 rpm after that they fly so perhaps the norm.
Hi slosher,yes it's the A model
Cheers MrB
teazer

Post by teazer »

Mr Bonehead wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:18 am
Alan H wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:23 am Personally, I always use non resistor plugs and plug caps on my points fitted bikes, but with electronic ignition systems, you need resistor caps, apparently.
Hi Alan H ,thanks for the reply,,probably a stupid question but how do you tell the difference between the resister and non resister caps :?:
Cheers MrB
Err... Measure the resistance.. :roll: :lol: New caps have a number on the top that indicates if they are resistance (5k ohms) or zero resistance. Rubber caps were typically zero resistance, but when in doubt, remove the caps and measure the resistance.
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

teazer wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:19 pm
Mr Bonehead wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:18 am
Cheers MrB
Err... Measure the resistance.. :roll: :lol: New caps have a number on the top that indicates if they are resistance (5k ohms) or zero resistance. Rubber caps were typically zero resistance, but when in doubt, remove the caps and measure the resistance.
Hi Teazer,thanks for the reply ,I haven't a clue when it comes to electrics but ask me to renovate French property and I'm your man
Cheers MrB
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

As long as you don't want heat or light.. :lol:
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

canaletto5 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:25 pm As long as you don't want heat or light.. :lol:
The French electric and plumbing system is a law unto itself ,best left to the professionals,if I did it every time you flushed the toilet the bedroom light Would come :D
MrB