750L starter motor faulty

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Rubydog

Re: 750L starter motor faulty

Post by Rubydog »

So the replacement parts came & this one had the springs, rollers & pins in it. I cleaned it up & fitted new roller bearings (from Baz - thanks) rebuilt it all & everything seems ok now. It’s still a mystery as to why my original unit didn’t have any pins & springs in it, but it’ll have to be one of life’s mysteries.
I’m just wondering if it would be possible to get the old part repaired or remade as the centre bit that broke up is pressed into the outer cog, I worry that at some point these parts will run out & we’ll all end up with kickstart only bikes ?
Thanks for everyone’s help & advice along the way, it even seems to run smoother now, although that part of the unit doesn’t turn once the engine is running, unless some of the first broken bits were throwing the other part with the rollers in out of balance ?
Enjoy the better weather & happy kettling.
teazer

Post by teazer »

I figured that everyone had a box of those parts lying around, or maybe a second bike for spares. I cannot imagine just having one.

After I sold the Blue A, the Red M and the Yellow (Dunstall) L, now I need to sell the Orange Phat Trakka (A) and the Black cafe racer (B) when I finish it, that will leave me two plus some spares which is enough for me...

Good to hear that you fixed the problem. I suspect that any number of bikes used that same set of rollers and springs and the centers rarely fail, so you are probably safe for a while.
Rubydog

Post by Rubydog »

Thanks Teazer, you’re probably right, let's hope this one lasts....
I’ve boxed & labelled the old one up & it’s in the spares cupboard with all the other bits.
It’s passed it’s test run out & when you pull up it’s amazing how many people become your new friend with these old bikes. I’ve just got to get the 380K running now oh & the TS100L needs a few jobs....
Bye for now.