750L starter motor faulty

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Rubydog

750L starter motor faulty

Post by Rubydog »

Hi all, hope everyone is well & if anyone can advise me please ?
Got my 750L out for a quick run as it’s not been run for a month or 2 at least, it spun over on the lecky start ok at first then gave up leaving the solenoid to click but nothing from the motor.
I removed the starter, tested it off the bike & it turned very slowly when driven directly from a good battery, so I stripped it down. Continuity wise it tested ok, but the comm was black & the brushes were worn down to 10mm which according to the Haynes is the minimum length. I’ve cleaned the comm with fine sandpaper & fitted new brushes but it’s no different.
So, I could take it to an auto electrician to get it refurbed (if they’re open) but the refurb cost might be more expensive than a new one, but can anyone advise if the starter off any other Suzuki fits the kettle to enable me to actually buy a new motor ? I saw a new one advertised on eBay when I was searching for the new brushes, it’s an Arrowhead one but although it looks like a Kettle one it says it’s for a KTM in the ad.
Has anyone any advice please ?
Thanks in advance.
Alan H

Re: 750L starter motor faulty

Post by Alan H »

PM Uncle Baz on here. He can get them refurbed. They come back like new. I've had a couple off him.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Rubydog

Post by Rubydog »

Thanks Alan, I have Baz’s ebay in as a favourite but he threw me cos there’s no mention on there. I’ll PM him later.
Cheers & happy Kettling.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Rubydog

Post by Rubydog »

Thanks Canneletto 5, I’ve stripped it again, rebuilt it & the new brushes together with a more careful rebuild seemed to do the trick. I haven’t fully rebuilt the bike yet, cos we always end up cleaning bits up that we can’t normally get at, don’t we ?
Thanks again.
Rubydog

Post by Rubydog »

Further to my previous, i refitted the rebuilt starter motor & it fired up lovely, but I then realised that the starter motor was still turning when the engine ran. I could also hear graunching noises from the lhs of the engine, so killed it quick & pushed it back into the garage.
I stripped the starter clutch & found that the piece with the two roller bearings in it has some big chunks missing out of it, & both cages are damaged in the same place. I’ve found all the broken chunks within the clutch as they couldn’t escape until I removed & stripped it down, & these bits must have jammed the clutch up causing the engine to drive the starter, & causing the sounds I could hear.
I’ve ordered the replacement parts & gasket off eBay & am eagerly awaiting their arrival, but my query is that my unit doesn’t seem to have any springs in it to push the rollers into position.
All the rebuild kits I’ve viewed seem to have 3 rollers, springs & pins in them, but my unit doesn’t have any sign of any of the springs or pins, so were they removed as a modification or has someone stripped & reassembled it incorrectly prior to my ownership ?
It does have the two roller bearings which I thought was a factory modification, I’m not sure from what date/ or engine number, although my Haynes manual is based on an L model ( which mine actually is) & on page 31 it shows a breakdown of the said clutch with two bearings, but it also shows the 3 springs rollers & pins.
I will strip the replacement unit when it arrives to check its condition ( I bought a complete one to keep as a spare ) to see if that has any springs in it, but thought I’d ask on here to put my mind at rest prior to its arrival.
Can anyone advise please ?
Thanks again in advance.
Rubydog

Post by Rubydog »

DB567510-3790-407F-A5D3-E6DBE747AA5A.jpeg
This is a picture of the damaged part.
B5FF8D2F-6ED8-43F4-BB8E-181C10A16B3E.jpeg
This Is the Haynes page 31 showing the 3 springs & pins which appear to be missing from my unit although it obviously has the 3 rollers (undamaged)
The starter worked perfectly before this happened, although the day the motor failed I did hear some slight knocking from this area when I first tried to start it probably caused as the rollers & boss broke up, & the motor was faulty as it wouldn’t turn when it was removed & driven directly from a good car battery.
Thanks.
Rubydog

Post by Rubydog »

Just realised the Haynes picture only shows one roller bearing, but the parts description at the bottom of the page lists 2 off - as per item 6.
The damaged part is item 5 & the missing parts are items 8 and 9, the rollers item 7 are present.
teazer

Post by teazer »

Two bearings inside that drive gear is correct. The springs, end caps and big rollers are inside the outer part.

It's a sprag clutch and the springs just provide enough pressure to engage the rollers on the outside of that gear. The outer housing is basically a cam that forces the rollers against the gear. When it's running, centrifugal force pushes the rollers away from the gear.

The failure on yours is most unusual on a 750, but quite common of 550s for some reason.
Rubydog

Post by Rubydog »

Thanks for the reply I’ll have another look & let you know what I find.