Fitting new accent

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
slosher

Fitting new accent

Post by slosher »

Just treated the Kettle to an Accent EI i'm having a problem fitting the aluminium cam seems very tight on the crank :shock: internal diameters of both the original and the new ally one are identical 12.98mm going to warm it up a little before i apply the brummie screw driver :lol: anyone had a similar problem :x
Are all accent units the same for all the Suzuki triples and how many magnets are in the cam :tw
This unit is for 380/750 Suzuki triples but no mention of the 550 :?

Thanks Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
teazer

Re: Fitting new accent

Post by teazer »

I don't recall any issues fitting the rotor on any Accent I have fitted. Inspect the end of the shaft. It's quite likely that someone applied a BFH to the end of that points shaft and left a raised edge that the can it having trouble sliding over.

550 runs backwards so to speak, so it's a different unit.

I don't have one here to check, but I think there are three pickups and only one magnet.

IIRC, The Accent system comes with three leads into a 4 pin connector block for the coils plus a separate red lead to bring power. That connector block plugs into the main electrical panel. You can use that 4th slot to take power to the accent and connect the bike side into an orange switched 12v supply.
slosher

Post by slosher »

Thanks teazer this unit appears to have two magnets :o the crank end is perfect the original cam slides on a treat and internal dimension of the new aluminium is exactly the same.
See what you mean with the 550 being different ;)

Thanks Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

slosher wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:25 pm Thanks teazer this unit appears to have two magnets
:? Should be three on a triple, shirley?
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
slosher

Post by slosher »

Alan H wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:40 am
slosher wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:25 pm Thanks teazer this unit appears to have two magnets
:? Should be three on a triple, shirley?
That's what I thought Alan 🤔 I know the Boyer I have on the 550 has 3 triggers & 3 magnets but then again this Accent is a lot more compact unit than the Boyer if I can get the rotor on just try it unless anybody can confirm this is the incorrect rotor for the 750 😒
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
itsnotateapot

Post by itsnotateapot »

Dave I haven’t got a clue. Hope this helps no need to thank me.
Richard
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
slosher

Post by slosher »

itsnotateapot wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:22 am Dave I haven’t got a clue. Hope this helps no need to thank me.
Richard
Dunno about lockdown they should lock you up 😂😂😂
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
teazer

Post by teazer »

I fitted an Accent to the yellow Dunstall but that was sold so I can't check the rotor and the pictures I took don't show the magnet(s).

With a single magnet, it will fire each cylinder once per revolution. With 3 magnets, it would fire each three times per revolution which is 18,000 sparks at 6,000 revs and that should be easy. But I don't think that's how it's set up.

2 magnets would be perfect as long as they are close enough to each other. That way, the first one fires when it's supposed to and the second one does nothing. But if the bike kicks back and tries to run backwards, that second magnet would cause it to fit at completely the wrong time, so it would not run backwards.

I fitted DYNA systems to a couple of GT750s and once it kicked back and started to run so I stuck it in gear and started to move - backwards. That took the brain a few milliseconds to process before I shut it off and tried again.

If your rotor has exactly the same bore as the cam, it should fit without any problems. Does it not go on a at all or does it stick part way on - say when it fits over the drive pin?
3into4

Post by 3into4 »

I have an Accent fitted to a Kawasaki triple and it has 2 magnets in the rotor and the fitting bolt through the centre of the rotor connecting it to the crank was extremely neat at the shank part of the bolt.
slosher

Post by slosher »

teazer wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:23 pm If your rotor has exactly the same bore as the cam, it should fit without any problems. Does it not go on a at all or does it stick part way on - say when it fits over the drive pin?
3into4 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:02 pm I have an Accent fitted to a Kawasaki triple and it has 2 magnets in the rotor and the fitting bolt through the centre of the rotor connecting it to the crank was extremely neat at the shank part of the bolt.
Inside the rotor there were two high spots on the magnets 0.3mm t'was never gonnna fit :x Spent all afternoon flatting them off with wet & dry :roll: All bolted up ok and circuit board on and wired up,put the battery on charge tonight all ready for timing up tomorrow :) (totally p--sed off with German quality control :o :shock: )

Totally fed up Dave once again a five minute job turns into 2 days :lol:
Attachments
20210406_142403.jpg
IMG-20210406-WA0003.jpeg
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V