gearbox oil leak

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
stupot

gearbox oil leak

Post by stupot »

Hi Guys . My mate from around the corner hes not in any clubs or anything, (hes not even my mate, cause i dont have any} hes been renovating his Kettle over the winter ive been lending him some tools and stuff.
Hes been for a few rides and has gearbox oil emitting from near the oil pump.
Hes had the crank done at Grampian prior to ride out.
Ive been trying to help him a little bit with advise and unfortunately for him my advise is not very good.
Hes just phoned me to say hes ready to sell up.
He asked me to put a post on here to see if anyone is interested in a restored kettle with an oil leak.
I can put you in touch with him.
cheers stu
everyones a winner
stupot

Re: gearbox oil leak

Post by stupot »

GT750New.jpg
everyones a winner
teazer

Post by teazer »

That is the best color of the best year for a GT750 and by shear coincidence happens to be the same as at least one kettle that passed through my shop. :roll:

But that oil leak is an issue. Have you removed the oil pump cover to see where the leak is coming from? Is it an O ring in the oil feed manifold or the pump not being properly tightened down or just a leak from the feed pipe that might just need new dowty washers.

If it's coming from the transmission breather tower, things could be a bit harder to fix so start with the easy things and hope that inspires him to keep the bike and enjoy it when it's not leaving its mark wherever it's parked.
zapo

Post by zapo »

If he's really lucky it could just be too much oil in the gearbox.
If not, then favourite would be crank seals which would be disappointing if as you say the crank has already been done.
I had two stroke's and survived.
slosher

Post by slosher »

Could be the water pump shaft oil seal if that's failed it would run down the bypass and out at the base of the snail shaped casing that house's the impeller ;) It does it with mine now and again.

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
stupot

Post by stupot »

Thanks guys theres a few ideas ive not thought of , I will let him know your suggestions , I hope he keeps it aswell .it looks like hes done a cracking job on it. Let me have a word with him and Ill get back to you all in a few days . Cheers stu.
everyones a winner
stupot

Post by stupot »

Guys , First of al thankyou for all your replys you have given my friend Chris inspiration .

I went around to see what was going on and its not good, poor fella hes not having much luck . Anyway his centre and right cylinder are oiling up and he lost a litre of gearbox oil on only a short run the right pipe is full of gearbox oil.
Ive explained to him the Stupot method of doing a crank and he has allready been around to borrow some pullers the engine is nearly stripped. the left piston looks fine however the centre and right piston are fully oiled up.
hes not got to the crank just yet but i will let you all know the outcome soon . Kind regards stu and Chris.
everyones a winner
stupot

Post by stupot »

Guys the crank is out and the seal between the crank power take off and third crank bearing is totally knackered , now we are not sure if its due to Chris badly refitting the crank or what, hes got an appointment with Grampian in the morning.
On another matter hes got a hole in his upper crankcase behind the tacho oil res plate . is it supposed to be there ?
All replys gratefully recieved.
Attachments
g box 2.png
g box.png
everyones a winner
teazer

Post by teazer »

Regarding that seal, the design was changed way back when and I wonder if they fitted the wrong seal. Old design was a simple seal that was retained in place with a steel horseshoe shaped retainer. Later design had an inbuilt steel retaining half ring. If they fitted the old style, they should replace that for free.

If they fitted the correct late style seal and it was damaged during installation, that's on your mate.

If you could post pictures of the seal, we should be able to see what's up.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

stupot wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:54 am Guys the crank is out and the seal between the crank power take off and third crank bearing is totally knackered , now we are not sure if its due to Chris badly refitting the crank or what, hes got an appointment with Grampian in the morning.
On another matter hes got a hole in his upper crankcase behind the tacho oil res plate . is it supposed to be there ?
All replys gratefully recieved.
Yep, it's supposed to be there. Here's a photo of a spare case I have
IMAG0834.jpg