Fuel in air filter

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Mr Bonehead

Fuel in air filter

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Afternoon all,just had another's run on my 1976 GT 750 A ,running a bit rough ,noticed that fuel is dripping from the air filter and oil oil dripping from the two silencer ends that are for the middle cylinder,just put new spark plug caps on (5ohms) snipped a tiny bit of ht lead from the ends before fitting,middle pot is warm but not as warm as the outer two .Any thoughts greatly received,just had the carbs serviced by Baz,
Cheers Mr B
Quick update,just tried the bike running without the middle ht lead on the spark plug and it runs the same as when connected,put a,spare spark plug in the removed ht lead and strong spark when running,removed air filter and when the engine revs you can see fuel misting into the air box from the middle carburettor :o
teazer

Re: Fuel in air filter

Post by teazer »

Sounds like #2 is flooding. Pull the carbs and see what's going on.

It's possible that there's some damage from shipping - might be a bent float arm. The only way to be sure is to pull the carbs and check them.
willowden

Post by willowden »

I would be surprised if their is an issue with the carbs if Baz has refurbed them.
Have you carried out a compression check. Is the fuel being blown into the air filter & not drawn in ?
Good luck.
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

teazer wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:34 pm Sounds like #2 is flooding. Pull the carbs and see what's going on.

It's possible that there's some damage from shipping - might be a bent float arm. The only way to be sure is to pull the carbs and check them.
Hi Teazer,thanks for the reply,I'll take them off over the weekend and see if I can see anything,hopefully it's like you say,just worried in case there was a bigger problem hiding in the engine
Cheers MrB
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

willowden wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:18 pm I would be surprised if their is an issue with the carbs if Baz has refurbed them.
Have you carried out a compression check. Is the fuel being blown into the air filter & not drawn in ?
Good luck.
Hi willoden,I thought the same but sometimes the parcels that arrive look like they've been kicked all the way from the UK,don't have a compression tester but will ask around ,one of the drawbacks of living in france is the inability to nip down to the local car spares shop and buy things like a compression tester,it's a internet job and then a few weeks wait,luckily the wines cheap though :lol:
Cheers MrB
Ps if I do get a pressure tester what should the readings be ?
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

A 5 ohm plug cap is very unusual. A resistor cap is usually 5k (or 5000) ohms, or a non resistor would be bugger all.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Alan H wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:04 am A 5 ohm plug cap is very unusual. A resistor cap is usually 5k (or 5000) ohms, or a non resistor would be bugger all.
Sorry Alan ,meant 5k,hope that it's just a sticky float causing the problem,not sure if the symptoms are the same for the crank seal :?
Cheers MrB
willowden

Post by willowden »

Compressions should be 105 to110 psi , but if there is any difference on the middle pot it will show an indication of your troubles.
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

willowden wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:11 am Compressions should be 105 to110 psi , but if there is any difference on the middle pot it will show an indication of your troubles.
Hi willowden,thanks for the reply,had a phone chat with Baz and did a test he suggested ,took the carbs off and plugs out then turned the bike over on the starter with my hand over the inlets ,right pot plenty of suction but middle and left very weak so it's looking like the crank seals unfortunately,trying to find a garage here in France to do the work as I'm not confident enough,at the moment it's a badly running bike but by the time I'm finished it would be a pile of spares !!!
Cheers MrB
willowden

Post by willowden »

You sometimes get the same result with some of the so called expert mechanics , sorry I meant motorcycle technicians !!
Hope all goes well with it.