Gear Position Indicator Access

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Roscoehop

Gear Position Indicator Access

Post by Roscoehop »

Could somebody post a link or give me a step by step guide on how to access the gear position indicator on my newly-aquired 1976 GT750A? It appears to be functioning but may have come loose in the housing or have missing segments and need replacing. I've removed the headlight bowl and taken off the cover behind the instrument panel where the warning light bulbs are accessed but I cant see how to remove the cover over the panel that houses the indicator. The Haynes manual shows an exploded view but no instructions on how to separate the cover from the housing. I don't want to force anything. Any help much appreciated.
barney01

Re: Gear Position Indicator Access

Post by barney01 »

Hi
First disconnect speedo and tacho cables from the gauges. From the riding position look below the cluster and you will see 2 chrome dome nuts. Remove these and washers. Go to the back of the gauges and remove the four nuts securing the stainless steel covers which can now be removed.
If you pull out all the bulb holders the instrument cluster can now be removed from the bike and if you also disconnrct the gear indicator.
Its very common for these gear indicators to fail or be missing digits. You can buy a replacement from ebay quite cheaply.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-R ... 890.l49286
Attachments
2021-04-23 09.06.42.png
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Roscoehop

Post by Roscoehop »

barney01 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:17 am Hi
First disconnect speedo and tacho cables from the gauges. From the riding position look below the cluster and you will see 2 chrome dome nuts. Remove these and washers. Go to the back of the gauges and remove the four nuts securing the stainless steel covers which can now be removed.
If you pull out all the bulb holders the instrument cluster can now be removed from the bike and if you also disconnrct the gear indicator.
Its very common for these gear indicators to fail or be missing digits. You can buy a replacement from ebay quite cheaply.
Many thanks that's very clear. I thought I must be approaching it from the wrong side!
Roscoehop

Post by Roscoehop »

barney01 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:17 am Hi
Presumably I also have to remove the connections to the temperature guage as the instrument cluster is all one unit? Is there anything I should be aware of in doing that? TIA
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Never done a 750. Anyone else help with this?
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
steppe

Post by steppe »

Hello gents..
Looking for a gear position indicator for my 550B..
Unfortunately the item on link above on ebay is no longer available..
Anyone an idea where to find it?

Thanks in advance

Steppe
asco58

Post by asco58 »

I came up with some circuit boards some time ago which are small enough to squeeze into the original casings and the digit about the same size as the original.
I posted about it here with some pictures viewtopic.php?t=13910. There's two types of display I know about and the displays with the plastic top are more difficult to assemble and require some modification but it is possible to insert a new circuit board into the casings relatively neatly. The casing, block connector and hood I reused. Here's another one with the plastic top I did.
gear_IN.jpg