GT750 1976 Starter clutch

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Bikesklade

GT750 1976 Starter clutch

Post by Bikesklade »

Hi All

Hopefully you can help

I have just bought a 1974 Kettle 750L all original with 32000 on the clock nice condition. When I took delivery I knew it had a starter clutch problem, ie the starter motor just span round without turning over the engine. It does start on the kick starter.

I removed the engine casing and found the nut and spring washer were loose. I tightened them to the specified torque in Haynes manual of 40ft/bs Replaced the cover and pressed the button an the engine turned over ....However a couple of starts later the same problem. I removed the cover and the nut had come undone . I was recommended to buy a new nut and spring washer as the originals nut was damaged and the spring washer slightly flat. Fitted the new parts and same again worked for a while then cam undone again. I did not use any lock compound as the manual didn't require it.

Any Ideas please?

Can you also confirm the firing order from left to right when sitting on the bike.

Finally, The left hand outer exhaust is in great condition but has some deep dents in its end within about 300/400mm from its end. Does anyone know if these can be removed or a company that could help get them out?

Many Thanks in Advance

Kevin
teazer

Re: GT750 1976 Starter clutch

Post by teazer »

If it comes loose, that suggests that either it wasn't tight enough or that the taper on the crank and inside the starter clutch may not be mating properly.
Remove the clutch assembly again and take out the woodruff key and inspect the bore and the end of the crankshaft for burrs, gouges etc.

The two tapers should basically hold in place without the key or the nut. If there's any wobble at all, take some fine grinding paste and lap the two tapers together. Obviously all traces of the grinding paste must be removed before you put it back together. Lap the two surfaces and after a few turns inspect it for high spots that may need to be gently dressed down. Once it's lapped, the two parts should "ring" together. That means that they stay as if they were stuck together.

If the nut and washer are damaged, they are cheap to replace from a hardware store. You could use loctite if you want, but it shouldn't be necessary.
Bikesklade

Re: GT750 1976 Starter clutch

Post by Bikesklade »

Many thanks .. Loctite has cured the problem ..