gt750a starter motor not engaging

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
quark77

gt750a starter motor not engaging

Post by quark77 »

never had a prob with this bike before til 2 days ago , went to start it on the starter , turned over gave a clunk.now starter whirrs away without engageing , battery is good , engine still turns on kickstart though whether it would fire up i don t know as having a missing right leg i can t kick it over! i m going to strip the clutch down , wondering if anyone has any pointers on what to look for , cheers guys Terry
teazer

Re: gt750a starter motor not engaging

Post by teazer »

There's a whole list of possibilities, but most likely is a sheared woodruff key in the crank. Pull the points cover off and see what you can see in there. You need a three leg puller (usually) to remove the starter clutch, but your may well be loose.
quark77

Post by quark77 »

cheers mate
quark77

Post by quark77 »

finally got round to having a look , found the starter clutch nut on the end of the crank was loose , starter clutch doesn t seem to have any movement though , would this loose nut be enough to stop the starter engaging ?or should i pull the whole assembly off ?
teazer

Post by teazer »

If the nut is loose, the possibility exists that the key has snapped. Tight is sometimes not what it appears to be. Remove the starter assembly to inspect the rollers and springs as well as the crank nose and the key. I had one recently where the three screws from the inside were loose.

http://pinkpossum.com/GT750/Crank%20pullers.htm for info on pullers.