setting ignition timimg

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
quark77

setting ignition timimg

Post by quark77 »

i can t seem to line up when the points open with the timing line on my 750a , whichever way i move the timing plate its not having it ! this was after the starter clutch boss nut came loose , any ideas please
stupot

Re: setting ignition timimg

Post by stupot »

I understand the question but i dont understand what your doing. your description of your issue sounds a bit like stanley unwin.
are you using a bulb to set static timing ?
Or is the bike running and your using a strobe ?
Is it electronic ignition ?
everyones a winner
quark77

Post by quark77 »

bulb to set static timing and its on points !
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Terry

The starter clutch won't affect it.

Have you set the points gap first?

Assuming that you are turning the engine the right way, (Use the kickstart to move it), then it is possible the heels on the points cams are worn. When were they last replaced? Also, some aftermarket points are frankly crap and also don't allow proper set up.

Kev
quark77

Post by quark77 »

cheers Kev , i ll check that
teazer

Post by teazer »

Let's address the starter clutch thing first. If the key is in place, the points cam is mechanically tied to the crank in the correct orientation. That said, sometimes the key is pushed out of place and when the starter clutch is tightened it can be out of position.

If the timing looks to be more than a couple of degrees out, I would open that side up again, remove the starter clutch and be 110% sure the key is in there.

If the timing is only out by say 5-10 degrees, it is probably the propeler out of place. Either the pin is missing or more common, it's sloppy fit and was tighetened up out of place.

If the points are worn, it may be hard to get the timing and gaps right, and as someone mentioned, some aftermarket points are a misformed and make it impossible to set the timing.
stupot

Post by stupot »

dirty points faces I give them a quick rub with 600 wet and dry.
everyones a winner
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

stupot wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:51 pm dirty points faces I give them a quick rub with 600 wet and dry.
:o
Bikesklade

Post by Bikesklade »

My Starter clutch came loose, stripped the keyway in the process and the timing ended up 180 degrees out. Only found that was the case when I used a DTI to check the timing .

New key, reset the points gap and opening point using a volt meter and the bike now runs like a top.

I suggest you check the keyway

Kevin