Viton tipped float valves?

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Hustler

Viton tipped float valves?

Post by Hustler »

Does anyone know if viton tipped float valves are available for the T500j?
Regards.
Sean.
teazer

Re: Viton tipped float valves?

Post by teazer »

Mikuni sells a few different needle valve assemblies and the key to your question is which ones are fitted to your bike.

Your local Mikuni supplier may know and if not if you take the needle vales out and measure the dimensions, we may be able to identify them. They are probably VM28/163 (same as GT750 J/K) which only come with metal tip. But VM34/39 is 1mm shorter and has viton tipped needle and would probably work if you bend the float tang to adjust for that 1mm difference.

Some small body carbs use VM26/26 and those can be replaced with 786-15005's
Hustler

Post by Hustler »

Hello again teaser.
I have ordered a pair of standard mikuni items. The point is to try and eliminate all other reasons why my 500 would not start. Before trying again to get the Accent ignition working.
Thanks for your input.
Sean.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Ok, I had viton tipped needles in my 380 and they were a nightmare, you couldn't get the float height right so I went back to standard brass

If you think fuel starvation is a problem, open the drain screws for the float bowls, if there is no fuel coming out then you probably have a problem relating to a sticking needle or float assembly. If there is fuel in the bowl then that is not the problem. Kev
Hustler

Post by Hustler »

Starvation is certainly not the problem.
The carbs are over flowing. But not through the overflow pipes, as I would have expected. But up through the needle jets flooding the crankcase..
Sean.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Is the fuel tap operating ok? Should only be delivering fuel with the engine running unless it is on prime? Kev
Hustler

Post by Hustler »

Even on prime. The float valves should stop the flow of fuel.
But they don't. I have put a new Viton Bs007 O ring on the fuel cap vacuum plunger. That has stopped fuel flooding the carbs. But when on prime, the carbs overflow. So float valves not sealing.
Sean
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Then you are right to fit new Mikuni valves. Kev