Digital gear position fault.

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
stevewharton

Digital gear position fault.

Post by stevewharton »

Hi all, I've owned my kettle since 1987 and I don't think there's a part of it that I haven't had in pieces at least once to fix or replace, apart from the digital gear display. So I've got an issue with it that someone on here might be able to help me with, before I start pulling it apart. It's always worked perfectly but recently It's lost the number three, not a massive problem because when the display is blank I know I'm in third, :roll: but I would rather have it working properly. When I change from 2nd to 3rd, the 3 does light up for a split second but then disappears, so could this be a quick fix or is it gonna cost me?
TIA Steve W.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
slosher

Re: Digital gear position fault.

Post by slosher »

Strange that Steve mine is playing up too :x On start up it's fine but after a few miles i loose the top bar of the 2,3 & 5 :roll: not really a big issue with the knowing of what gear i'm in but would prefer it working correctly.I think there is a cheap fix Steve but fiddling around with summit or other no doubt someone can point us in the right direction ;)
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
itsnotateapot

Post by itsnotateapot »

Give it a great big smack with a sledge hammer, hope this helps you and there is no need to thank me.
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
mick 63

Post by mick 63 »

Put a sticker over it ;) , it will never bother you again :) .
raysunners

Post by raysunners »

stevewharton wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:23 pm Hi all, I've owned my kettle since 1987 and I don't think there's a part of it that I haven't had in pieces at least once to fix or replace, apart from the digital gear display. So I've got an issue with it that someone on here might be able to help me with, before I start pulling it apart. It's always worked perfectly but recently It's lost the number three, not a massive problem because when the display is blank I know I'm in third, :roll: but I would rather have it working properly. When I change from 2nd to 3rd, the 3 does light up for a split second but then disappears, so could this be a quick fix or is it gonna cost me?
TIA Steve W.
I would be checking the connection inside the headlight , I had an issue with mine was a bit loose
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, sensible and non sensible :roll:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
burgs

Post by burgs »

Hi
I have a similar problem, no 3rd gear, but while riding to work in the dim hours, I noticed that 3rd actually flicks on for a quick couple of seconds then goes off, no1 Gt750 it is 4th gear that doesn't work, not a big thing but annoying, bit like fly's. :lol:
Burgs
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Because the 3rd gear display flashes briefly when I lift the gear lever up into 3rd gear, I suspect it's more likely to be something not working properly at the sensor end, any thoughts?
teazer

Post by teazer »

Sounds logical. Pull the switch off and clean it and see if that makes a difference. It sounds like the switch is damaged/worn though, so you may need to replace it.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

2 6 way block connectors between the switch and display. 1 near the coils and 1 in the headlamp. Pull them apart & push back together a few times and hopefully the bad contact will be ok. Just doing the same on the Earwig, but my display is knacked and shows 8 no matter what gear (or not) the bike is in. I have a cheap chinky equivalent in the garage that will be fitted later this week!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated