Kick starter not returning

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
crazy4557

Kick starter not returning

Post by crazy4557 »

I have fitted my rebuilt GT550A engine and find the kick starter will work and spins over the engine but does not spring back into place and has to be manually returned.

Is this an engine out and split or could it fix itself when engine's up and running?

Any tips appreciated. Not looking forward to going several steps backwards on this build if it is worst case scenario :x
1976 GT550A in black
canaletto5

Re: Kick starter not returning

Post by canaletto5 »

Did you tension it before fitting the cover ? Kev
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

It wasn't me that rebuilt it so can't tell unfortunately.

Is this an easy job?
1976 GT550A in black
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

crazy4557 wrote:It wasn't me that rebuilt it so can't tell unfortunately.

Is this an easy job?
Yes (ish) if the spring is located properly inside the box. I will put up some photos tomorrow if that will help. Kev
Yellowbelly

Post by Yellowbelly »

Firstly does the kickstart move freely ie no resistance if it does then hopefully it's a simple tension job,if tensioning doesn't work then as Kev says cud be the spring not located properly.there is a thread covering this subject which shows the worst scenario and also the less invasive fix just do a search for kickstart tension.Col
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

Yellowbelly wrote:Firstly does the kickstart move freely ie no resistance if it does then hopefully it's a simple tension job,if tensioning doesn't work then as Kev says cud be the spring not located properly.there is a thread covering this subject which shows the worst scenario and also the less invasive fix just do a search for kickstart tension.Col
Yes, it moves freely and works fine. I used it to try and prime the oil pump as lekky stater er not working but that's fixed now so just kick start tension to go.
1976 GT550A in black
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

It'll be just tensioning and you only need remove the clutch cover and then its easy. I'm away right now but hopefully you'll get picture help!
Mike
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Right, photos etc.

This one shows the sequence of bits on the kick starter shaft.

IMG_1305.JPG
Remove the crankcase cover. Then remove parts 15,5,4 & 3. You will need circlip pliers.You will now be down to part 2, the Ratchet Wheel.

First, you need to check that the Ratchet Wheel is in the correct location on the shaft. There is a dot punched on the shaft on a low and a dot punched on the Wheel. They need to be in line with each other.
IMG_1303.JPG
If they aren't, slide the wheel off the shaft and position it correctly. The dot is easy to see on the wheel but a bugger to see on the shaft in situ. You may need a strong light and a magnifying glass.

Once aligned, make sure the Wheel is clear of the stop it will eventually rest on so you can rotate it without fouling the stop

The photo with the arrow shows the stop I'm on about
IMG_1306.JPG
This photo shows where the wheel needs to be so you can turn the shaft. I know there is no top casing on mine but it shows the position
IMG_1311.JPG
Fit a kick starter and rotate the shaft anticlockwise until the lobe on the Ratchet Wheel passes the stop. You should feel quite a bit of tension when you do this. Push the Wheel onto the shaft then ease the arm back so the lobe on the Wheel rests on the stop.
IMG_1312.JPG
Remove the kick starter

Refit all the bits you took off in the correct sequence

Fit the kick starter again and check if it returns as it should when you press it down.
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

Nice post Kev.
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

You couldn't ask for a better description to solving a problem than that.

Brilliant effort, many thanks and I'll let you know how I get on at the weekend.
1976 GT550A in black