Kick starter not returning

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
canaletto5

Re: Kick starter not returning

Post by canaletto5 »

mark.read3 wrote:Nice post Kev.
Cheers Mark! I've literally just done the job myself so a fortunate coincidence. :)
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

crazy4557 wrote:You couldn't ask for a better description to solving a problem than that.

Brilliant effort, many thanks and I'll let you know how I get on at the weekend.
Good luck! Hope it solves the problem. Kev
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

accurate right down to 'needing a magnifying glass and a strong light'. I did, definitely!
Mike
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

I've found both punch marks but am not getting any tension when you fit kick starter and wind it round. There appears to be about 10mm in/out play in the shaft which to me seems excessive.

I've tried following instructions but half expected the shaft to have some tension of sorts but it appears not to 'connect' with whatever inside if you see what I mean.

Am I doing this wrong or is there something more sinister at work?
Last edited by crazy4557 on Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1976 GT550A in black
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

crazy4557 wrote:I've found both punch marks but am not getting any tension when you fit kick starter and wind it round. There appears to be about 10mm sideways play in the shaft which to me seems excessive.

I've tried following instructions but half expected the shaft to have some tension of sorts but it appears not to 'connect' with whatever inside if you see what I mean.

As long as you are winding it anti-clockwise, you should feel tension as you turn it. You should be turning it at least a three-quarters of the way around from the start point. If you are doing that and getting no tension at all, it suggests that the inner spring isn't located properly :(
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

canaletto5 wrote:
crazy4557 wrote:I've found both punch marks but am not getting any tension when you fit kick starter and wind it round. There appears to be about 10mm sideways play in the shaft which to me seems excessive.

As long as you are winding it anti-clockwise, you should feel tension as you turn it. You should be turning it at least a three-quarters of the way around from the start point. If you are doing that and getting no tension at all, it suggests that the inner spring isn't located properly :(
I just had another go and if the shaft is not manually pushed in then it just spins round and round. If I push the shaft in by hand then it has some tension when you turn the kick shaft lever anti clockwise. Does this mean the shaft is not located/held in place correctly?
1976 GT550A in black
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

crazy4557 wrote:
canaletto5 wrote:

I just had another go and if the shaft is not manually pushed in then it just spins round and round. If I push the shaft in by hand then it has some tension when you turn the kick shaft lever anti clockwise. Does this mean the shaft is not located/held in place correctly?
Just gently pull on the shaft. It should spring back when you let it go.
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

No, when I pull it out gently it has about as much spring in it as a spring onion :lol:
1976 GT550A in black
canaletto5

Kick starter not returning

Post by canaletto5 »

crazy4557 wrote:No, when I pull it out gently it has about as much spring in it as a spring onion :lol:
:lol: That's the spirit! I'm afraid that there is every chance the tang on the spring isn't located. It should be like this:
IMG_1313.JPG
That's what makes the shaft spring back when you pull it

What I suspect you have is this:

IMG_1314.JPG
That is why you can turn the shaft easily unless you push it in. That is the mis-located tang binding on the inner web.I replicated it on mine to check it. Sorry mate. Kev
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

Oh dear, I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm going to have to tear the whole thing down again and take it back to the builder. I was so close to being finished but now back to square 2 I suppose :cry:
1976 GT550A in black