Kick starter not returning

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
canaletto5

Re: Kick starter not returning

Post by canaletto5 »

crazy4557 wrote:Oh dear, I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm going to have to tear the whole thing down again and take it back to the builder. I was so close to being finished but now back to square 2 I suppose :cry:
Unless you can live with just the electric leg. The only thing that would bother me is what else hasn't been done properly.
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

It's my third engine from this guy, other two were OK so hopefully this will be good to go when kick start mechanism rebuilt.
1976 GT550A in black
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Crazy,
Try popping the clutch cover on, not forgetting the thrust washer on the kickstart shaft. That presses the shaft to where it needs to sit.
3-4 bolts to hold the cover on flat against the crankcase and test your tensioned kickstarter again.
Mine sounds like yours and I nearly opened it up again, I hadn't even installed the motor, but its been fine.
Cheers,
Mike
blackhat400

Post by blackhat400 »

Just done this after my crank rebuild,, what i noticed also is the casing has to be on [ with the thrust washer] to engauge the ratchet,, thot summat was wrong, as trying to turn engine without outer casing on, it dosn"t engauge the rachet , :|