Suzuki Electro tester model SS

Gixxer18

Suzuki Electro tester model SS

Post by Gixxer18 »

Afternoon gents. It's horribly wet and miserable today, so I decided to see if I could get my Okudokoki electro tester model-SS working, which I recently acquired from the good ol US.
I've tried adding a photo, but not having any luck.
First thing I found wrong was a 30A fuse in the 5A fuseholder. It wasn't burned out at least.
Next was an inspection of the wires and cables, with the exception of the insulating sleeves that go over the crocodile clips having perished, which were easily replaced on EBay, they were ok too.
The glass in both of the meters had come loose, and were rattling around preventing the meters from moving freely, so they had to come out, taken apart, cleaned and glued back in using Bostic all purpose glue. This was the easy bit.
Next at first glance was a mess of wires,Transformers, capacitors, resistors, and switches, and a great big aluminium can plugged in. I expected the can to be a large value Capacitor, dated to 09/70 which from experience was probably leaky, and would need replacing; but in fact turned out to be a Vibrator.. stop tittering at the back please!
Inside is just a pair of contacts similar to points, and will probably just need cleaning to get them to work again.
I've put all the capacitors on an L/C meter, and all are within tolerance,
The variable resistors are clean and functioning, as are the fixed resistors.
One of the switches, the 6V/Off/12V one has a tiny inductor made up of a few turns of Litz wire with an air core, and there is a similar one across the resistor calibration potentiometer.
The spark gap electrodes seem clean, with no tracking visible through the window, though it was very grubby from age, since cleaned up.
So all in all in good condition, until we come to the rotary function selector switch, and this is where the gremlins are. There are two bobbin inductors soldered on top of the switch, and one of them is burned out, the other in good condition. Neither have any markings as to their values, but I'm guessing about 22 uH, I haven't measured that yet. Fortunately, I can probably get one off The internet fairly cheaply.
It would help if I could find a schematic of the unit. I've tried EBay, and numerous searches for one, there was an operators manual sold just a few weeks ago, and I missed out on it. :(
Has anyone got one?
I'll have to draw a circuit diagram and reverse engineer it if I can't find one. But during Lockdown, it will help pass the time of day.
Regards,
Nigel.