oldjapanesebikes

Re: GT 750 Sales Brochure Scans number 2

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

As someone else has mentioned, I suppose its a bit sad that this interests me so much Image ! Excellent information and thank you for posting ! You might be interested in taking a look at this link as I'm still trying to in fill some gaps - any corrections and additions you are willing to offer would be appreciated.Image
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Glenn,
Interesting you mention a few non standard colours in UK. I have a 1977 GT380B which I bought from a dealer at one year old, so this was definitely its original finish.
Yet when I had it repainted in 2008 I recall not finding it as a UK brochure colour for this model year....never solved how that happened. But I wanted it as it was and as I remembered.
Cheers!
Mike
Attachments
Sept 08 scalded cat! (Large).JPG
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

glenn1411 wrote:.... the u.s. 550 bikes are easy to identify here, our machines did not have exhaust couplers across the front 3 header pipes from 1975 onwards the american bikes continued with them right through the model run.........
Another not quite so easy difference to spot, is that the NA models stayed with iron liners in the barrels, and the EU models used different porting, nikasil coatings in the barrels and had more power !
glenn1411 wrote: P.S.feel free to use any of these sales brouhure scans on your own site if you wish
Thank you - appreciated !
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Thanks Glenn, agree its Stardust Silver Metallic and I am also sure its the colour the bike was when I bought it.
I just went back through my notes and that was indeed what I had Glenn of Cleveland BikeSpray finish my tank in, in 2007.

My confusion arose from not being able to see that as a B colour option 1977 in the colour charts (was on the 75 M). Perhaps the colour catalogue I am looking at (link below) is from a different territory than UK?

And thanks for the compliment!! an advantage of it being in my possession since 1978 is no one but me has mucked about with it, the only knowingly non-standard part is braided brake line for power (which makes a big difference!) and I keep the OE brake lines in my parts box.

Cheers,
Mike
http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm (navigate to 1977, GT380, Color Chart)
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Glenn,
I nearly had mine done in Spark Flake Silver, then I saw a GT550B in that colour and was damned sure that was NOT right so had a rethink!
Nice to know I have one that is both original and non-standard all at the same time :-))
I have since seen just one GT380B in that Stardust Silver Metallic and the guy swore it was original paint....it did look old and knackered enough to be so. So right or wrong, mine was not alone in having that colour tank on when new in 1977.
Well spotted for the differences in catalogue photos vs what they actually sold. Tells us to be a bit careful in using catalogue pics are 'true original equipment references' as there is no guarantee they are any such thing...
Cheers,
Mike
bluehazeboy

Post by bluehazeboy »

yeadon_m wrote:Glenn,
Interesting you mention a few non standard colours in UK. I have a 1977 GT380B which I bought from a dealer at one year old, so this was definitely its original finish.
Yet when I had it repainted in 2008 I recall not finding it as a UK brochure colour for this model year....never solved how that happened. But I wanted it as it was and as I remembered.
Cheers!
Mike
i had one of these new in 1981 i had it for 18 months before it was stolen, i done loads of miles on it without any problems, the only problem i had was the digital gear indicator used to read 8 and 9 in the wet