DISC PADS

You can chat about anything you like here
stevewharton

Re: DISC PADS

Post by stevewharton »

Tut tut Alan, I really expected a reply like that from teapot Richard, not someone as sensible :roll: as you!!!
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

HAF! :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Thought I'd sorted the dreaded brake squeal on my kettle but it came back with a vengeance last year, so I stripped both calipers this morning in yet another attempt to cure it :x
Everything seemed as it should be with the new pads, seals, stainless steel pistons and the very nice pair of discs that I bought from Cobby just before he sadly passed :( but as I said, still squealing like a banshee.
Back to the drawing board then and this time I tried slightly thicker metal shims (more of a washer really, about 1mm thick) between the piston and in the recess on the back of the floating pads. I used a thin smear of silicone grease to hold them in place while I reassembled both calipers and then took the bike for a run.
Well I don't want to jump the gun, but fingers crossed I think it's sorted and for the first time in ages my brakes are totally silent. Just have to be careful now, because I'd got used to the squeal being a good early warning system for anyone walking in front of me :roll:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

stevewharton wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:18 pm I'd got used to the squeal being a good early warning system for anyone walking in front of me :roll:
You or the pedestrian? :shock: ;) :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Alan H wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:31 pm
stevewharton wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:18 pm I'd got used to the squeal being a good early warning system for anyone walking in front of me :roll:
You or the pedestrian? :shock: ;) :lol:
Definitely the pedestrians, who really get out of the way quick when they hear it :twisted: