Accent ignition problem.

You can chat about anything you like here
barney01

Accent ignition problem.

Post by barney01 »

Bit of a nightmare here.
I have had Newtronic ignition system fitted for 20 yrs no problems with it fit and forget. As documented i managed to flood my engine by pushing a fuel pipe on vacuum pipe. Thats been sorted but when bike was fired up middle cylinder not firing traced to a faulty lamp on ignition. Ring Autocar to replace lamp cable. Phone message due to covid cant answer phone. Sent three emails no response.
I'm going to Gold Cup on the bike Wednesday so no rush!
Mate of mine has sold me an accent kit he is waiting to fit on a resto posts it to me Hermes Next Day delivery. It takes 2 Days! No rush....
So i've removed the Newtronics and wired in the Accent which was quite easy TBH. Switch bike ignition on no red Led comes on. I have checked continuity of all coil cables there is power to the Accent. How does it earth? Anyone know?
Sent email to Gottwald gets automated email back he is on holiday 31.8 to 27.9.
I give in..... . :oops:
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
3into4

Re: Accent ignition problem.

Post by 3into4 »

Hi, I don't know about the Accent fitted to a kettle but as far as I'm aware the principal is the same for all bike types, I have an Accent fitted to a different type of triple and fitment was pretty straight forward with just the four wires 3 for the coils and 1 for the power supply for the Accent so it must earth through its backplate when secured to engine.

My red LED only comes on initially when static timing the cylinder, but with engine running I'm sure it flashes rapidly, just a thought is the spinning timing disc with the Hall sensor magnets fitted right way around ? As on mine it could be fitted both way around.

Don't know if this helps but good luck.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi, I've had mine fitted for years now,
There are better instructions on how to fit the Accent on the Web in plain English.( translation from German to English )
Centre cylinder is the one to use for set up.
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
teazer

Post by teazer »

It's been a minute since I fitted one but as I recall the lamp only came on with one cylinder and not the others. And if the instructions said it goes out, it didn't it went on. Or vice versa...

Either way, it works fine and fires up with barely a look at the starter button.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

HI,this may help Google search Accent Ignition Old Japanese bikes, this should take you to an article on set up,

EMAIL uwe.gottwald@accent-electronic.com

if he is on holiday he may still read his Emails ? sorry just re read your post, you have done that :tw
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Chris57

Post by Chris57 »

Timing/light coming on is on the centre cylinder only, for peace of mind I checked the std timing marks (24 degrees - 3.64mm L & R or 3.42mm Centre) against back plate mark 1st.
Hopefully this is what you wanted from Uwe http://accent-electronic.com/Dokumente/ ... 2015GB.pdf
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Thanks all for your input will be back in the garage again this morning :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Bike running. Had to adapt the disc. Update after test ride tonight :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
barney01

Post by barney01 »

So i checked continuity from back of accent disc all the way to coils through two loom connectors and my coil relay. There was power 12v throughout. Led still not lit. So i thought what the hell put tank back on fired it over and it STARTED! :D it was a bit lumpy so put the strobe on it and it was miles out timing wise. I pushed the disc as far right as i could as it was better but still out. Then i remembered that i had to increase the slot width on my Newtronic as well so i bit the bullet. No returning it now. Used a dremmil with suitable grinding stone and increased the slots both the 6 o'clock and 2 o'clock ones. Pushed the disc over untill the strobe mark was perfect. Ticked over very smooth.
I have a mate who has a classic bike workshop, he says he has had to do that before for some bikes with Boyer or Dyna ignition but never on an accent. I will send Gottwald an email to let him know.
Never lit the led?
Have to say engine ticks over and runs beautiful now, much better than Newtronic. Accent rocks. Bring on the Gold Cup. Lets hope it stays dry :D
Attachments
Two slots increased to get holding screws in
Two slots increased to get holding screws in
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
teazer

Post by teazer »

That suggests that either the crank is out of round or that the side cover has been machined off center.

Glad you got it running. Great ignitions.