My surname.

You can chat about anything you like here
stevewharton

My surname.

Post by stevewharton »

Hi everyone and a happy new year to you all. :?
Looking for something to do yesterday I started to research my surname (Wharton) and on "Ancestry.com" found the following.
The Anglo Saxon origin says "a farm dwelling, or farm land", but a much earlier description says it comes from a Norse word for a vessel or container and goes on to describe that as a "kettle". :P
Any comments, sensible or otherwise :roll: are always welcome.
Last edited by stevewharton on Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
malky

Re: My surname.

Post by malky »

Thats very apt Steve - Steve Kettle has a certain ring to it or even a ring ding ding :lol:
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

On a similar note my surname is "Brough" unfortunately we are not related to the Brough Superior family :?
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

stevewharton wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:47 am Hi everyone and a happy new year to you all. :?
Looking for something to do yesterday I started to research my surname (Wharton) and on "Ancestry.com" found the following.
The Anglo Saxon origin says "a farm dwelling, or farm land", but a much earlier description says it comes from a Norsk word for a vessel or container and goes on to describe that as a "kettle". :P
116 123. Make it quick
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

stevewharton wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:47 am a much earlier description says it comes from a Norsk word for a vessel or container
Empty no doubt. :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Gary66 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:03 pm On a similar note my surname is "Brough" unfortunately we are not related to the Brough Superior family :?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Alan H wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:16 pm
stevewharton wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:47 am a much earlier description says it comes from a Norsk word for a vessel or container
Empty no doubt. :lol:
That's the daft reply out the way then :roll:
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

canaletto5 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:10 pm
stevewharton wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:47 am Hi everyone and a happy new year to you all. :?
The Anglo Saxon origin says "a farm dwelling, or farm land", but a much earlier description says it comes from a Norsk word for a vessel or container and goes on to describe that as a "kettle". :P
116 123. Make it quick
The Samaritans are much too busy to listen to my woes :roll:
Last edited by stevewharton on Sun May 23, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Filth

Post by Filth »

Steve , need something to do - how about painting your tank and side panels with White or Gold Hammarite ?
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Filth wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:20 pm Steve , need something to do - how about painting your tank and side panels with White or Gold Hammarite ?
With a brush for an improved look