Fuel cap

You can chat about anything you like here
PaulA

Fuel cap

Post by PaulA »

Apologies if it’s blindingly obvious n,but what have I got wrong here,can’t get the cap to lock fully closed,the cap will come down further if I use the key and turn it,as soon as it is released it springs back to this position and isn’t sealing
Attachments
96C0CE64-CC56-4581-8C74-C1ECEDC7D9E6.jpeg
326AF4B7-6057-40FB-9D01-D7BD78ED121B.jpeg
willowden

Re: Fuel cap

Post by willowden »

Paul ,is it the correct cap for the tank ? I remember recently on one of the Facebook sites that someone was suffering the same issue.
The general consensus was the tank was made for the cap with the thumb lock mechanism. Could be the same issue with yours ?
Good luck , Andy
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

If this is an L bike then the fuel cap is the standard one used throughout the GT range. The thumb release jobby is a 750J set up

The cap naturally rides higher at the back when closed. The spring behind the inner plate provides pressure for the seal to work. How do you know it isn't sealing ? Kev
PaulA

Post by PaulA »

To be honest I more or less assumed it wasn’t given the angle it’s sitting at
There is a slight smell of petrol when I open up the lockup but there’s other stuff in there
I just put two and two together
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

I think you will always get a whiff of fuel as there is a breather hole in the inner plate. I don't think there is anything to worry about as long as the cap is latched when you push it shut
rodent

Post by rodent »

OP, I have 3 tanks here and they all look the same as yours and the lids are closed. Maybe your seal is rooted?