Confusing problem and decision to make.

You can chat about anything you like here
stevewharton

Confusing problem and decision to make.

Post by stevewharton »

Hi Guys, you may remember I bought a new Royal Enfield 650 Intercepter last September and what a cracking little bike it is, not just me saying that but all the bike mag's and pundits agree too. The problem I have is, I'm riding the Enfield all the time and not using my beloved Kettle, so I've decided that one of them has to go. The sensible option would be to let the kettle go because I'd get more for it, but after owning it for 34 years (almost half my life) I don't think I could bear to part with it. So it looks like I'm going to have to consider selling the Enfield, any suggestions as to the best way to sell it? bearing in mind that ebay have changed the way they collect their pound of flesh. If anyone on here's interested or know someone that is, let me know please and I'll let you have all the relevant info'.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Harrymail

Re: Confusing problem and decision to make.

Post by Harrymail »

I've just sold my Fazer using eBay, classified advert Steve. Cost £20, and was sold in 2 days. Paid by bank transfer, so no other fees.

Paul
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

stevewharton wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:36 pm Hi Guys, you may remember I bought a new Royal Enfield 650 Intercepter last September and what a cracking little bike it is, not just me saying that but all the bike mag's and pundits agree too. The problem I have is, I'm riding the Enfield all the time and not using my beloved Kettle, so I've decided that one of them has to go. The sensible option would be to let the kettle go because I'd get more for it, but after owning it for 34 years (almost half my life) I don't think I could bear to part with it. So it looks like I'm going to have to consider selling the Enfield, any suggestions as to the best way to sell it? bearing in mind that ebay have changed the way they collect their pound of flesh. If anyone on here's interested or know someone that is, let me know please and I'll let you have all the relevant info'.
Steve, ask yourself why you are riding the Enfield all the time and not the Kettle? Will you ride the Kettle all the time if you sell the Enfield? For me, riding a bike is the priority. Discuss chaps :lol:
Chris57

Post by Chris57 »

The fact my Kettle had spent most of the summer sat in the corner of the garage behind other bikes made me accept something I already knew tbh, I actually preferred looking at it & listening to it than riding it. Unfortunately the truth of the matter is that even the nicest/best running Kettle in the world ain't never going to be most owners 1st choice ride if they owned something else so no need to feel guilty Steve. In my opinion you've done brilliantly to of put up with it for that long :lol: .
Optedout

Post by Optedout »

It’s a common situation that a lot of guys on here will understand Steve.
The modern bikes with a retro look are easy to live with and are reliable but lack
character. They don’t sound like a kettle, don’t smell good and don’t try to unseat
the jockey on every bend or bump in the road. That’s why there are always loads of low
mileage Modern Enfields and Triumphs for sale. Quite simply you need to keep both
and accept that the Kettle will have less use, only coming out for rallies and a fix of
‘character’. Also remember that bikes are like women, when you have one you don’t
want it and when you haven’t got one you want one! :lol:
rodent

Post by rodent »

Why can't you own both?
Chris57

Post by Chris57 »

Optedout wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:50 am It’s a common situation that a lot of guys on here will understand Steve.
The modern bikes with a retro look are easy to live with and are reliable but lack
character. They don’t sound like a kettle, don’t smell good and don’t try to unseat
the jockey on every bend or bump in the road. That’s why there are always loads of low
mileage Modern Enfields and Triumphs for sale. Quite simply you need to keep both
and accept that the Kettle will have less use, only coming out for rallies and a fix of
‘character’. Also remember that bikes are like women, when you have one you don’t
want it and when you haven’t got one you want one! :lol:
Hmmm, does it really need to be modern to be a better ride than Kettle :? ,totally agree re the smell, sound & looks though.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Morning all and thanks for the replies/opinions offered thus far.
Harry, ebay does sound like a viable option in that format and probably the way to go when I finally decide which bike's going, the problem now is deciding :|
Kev, the reason I've been riding the Enfield more is, it's shiny, it's new and it's lighter and easier to get out of the garage, which makes the point that the kettle is a heavy lump and as none of us are getting any younger, it's not going to get any easier. However, if the kettle was my only bike it would definitely be used regularly. I've put 100k on it in the 34 years I've owned it, which equates to about 3k a year.
Chris, you're right saying that it's nice to own a kettle, just to look at and to listen to it running, but for me it's a lot more than that. The fact that I've probably owned upward of 25 bikes alongside the kettle, and they've all been sold, speaks volumes about the connection I have with my kettle.
A few of you have said keep both and that does make a lot of sense, the Enfield for my every day quick and easy ride and the kettle for a bit of nostalgia and character, so I'm gonna have a good think about it and try to make my mind up, not easy though so I'll keep you posted as to what I decide.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

I've just received a letter from Royal Enfield advising me about a safety recall on the Intercepter, it's about brake calipers that could've been affected by salt on icy roads and the recall is to change the calipers to an anodised version that'll be more suitable for UK roads. So I rang the dealer to book it in and also took the opportunity to ask him about the best way to sell the bike, he said I'd lose a fair lump of cash if I sold it, either to him or privately, so his advise was to keep it. He did offer to take "that rusty old lump of metal" that he'd seen in my garage, meaning my kettle :x and offered me £8000 for it. Food for thought maybe???
Last edited by stevewharton on Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2strokejohnny

Post by 2strokejohnny »

i'd keep them both you will end up regretting we all do, i have 4 bikes and take them out in 2's, in your case a bit easier take 1 one day and the 1 the next problem solved,John
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny