3 way adjustable ignition

You can chat about anything you like here
BigBaart

3 way adjustable ignition

Post by BigBaart »

Hi all,

Hoping to get some guidance here...
I'm looking at changing to an electronic ignition system for the GT750. I've search the forums and many have done the conversion and some reverted back for various reasons.
One issue that I have been warned of is the inability to set individual cylinder ignition timing with most electronic systems. Is there one that you can set each cylinder's timing?
I'm not sure how much of an issue it is but have been told because of our altitude here in JHB South Africa (1600m) it's not uncommon for these to detonate and lead to costly repairs :shock:
Could be I'm over analyzing it but that's me...

Thanks!!
Robbieben

Re: 3 way adjustable ignition

Post by Robbieben »

I'd say stick with a known and availabble system, 2 or 3 good ones out there well documented on here, I've just bought a system from Classic Suzuki parts NL, I'm going to give that a try on my restoration. I wouldn't worry too much about setting individual pots, the standard system is set up for 120 degree firing of the cylinders as are electronic systems, if you need to make any alteration to allow for altitude etc it should be made for all 3 cylinders anyway so just possibly retard the ignition by a degree or so.
teazer

Post by teazer »

I have only seen one crank that was out of phase and that had been rebuilt by someone. It's rare for a stock GT750 to detonate because the compression is very low and in addition, as you go higher, the mixture gets richer.

That said, you can always retard the ignition a little to be on the safe side if the fuel there is lower octane or inconsistent octane. (mentioned by prior poster).

Any modern system will be fine. The easiest to fit is probably Accent from Germany. If you absolutely must be able to adjust the timing for each cylinder, you could fit a fully programmable Ignitech TCIP4 from Ignitech.cz or a home brewed Dyna system http://pinkpossum.com/GT750/Dyna%20S.htm
BATTS

Post by BATTS »

The Newtronic ignition system allows individually adjustment, although slightly (very slightly) more complicated to install than Accent, its cheaper than most race systems. I use Accent on my 750 and 550.
http://autocar-electrical.co.uk/product ... c/ckt-su6a
Chris
76 GT750, 78 GT550, BMW K1600gtl
BigBaart

Post by BigBaart »

Thanks for the info guys, will do some more research before buying anything.
Feeling right now is to keep it stock, slightly more maintenance but for the amount of riding don't think it'll be an issue.

Cheers