Higgspeed exhausts, fitting problems

You can chat about anything you like here
Robbieben

Higgspeed exhausts, fitting problems

Post by Robbieben »

I bought a set of Higgspeeds for my GT750B, arrived as promised and are very well made, look very good, nicely polished and finished off. Unfortunately that is where the good points end.

The 3 fittings supplied with the exhausts that bolt into the cylinder head do not tighten up onto the gaskets before they bottom out on the face of the flange. The gasket sealing face to flange length needs to be 12mm longer to allow compression of the gasket. The flange thickness is too thin and deflects reducing the clearance even more preventing secure fitment.
Right hand exhaust has no depression for rear brake clearance so the rear brake is not effectively useable.
The left hand exhaust again has no depression on the underside to accomodate the centre stand or side stand, in my case neither stand would fold up beyond 60 - 75% without any rubber bump stops fitted.
The centre exhaust again has no depression to allow the centre stand to fully retract.

As I see the above faults these could all be easily remedied during production to produce a lovely set of exhausts, searching sites and forums I am not the only person to have had issues, dissapointingly I have removed the exhausts and I am returning for a refund.

I could extend the flanges or use 2 gaskets with each flange and take a mallet of similar to the exhausts after applying some heat to make the system a workable fit but I'd then be polishing them back up and if it went wrong I'd be out of pocket and have no exhausts.
I'm more dissapointed that it would appear other people have had similar issues but Higgspeed have continued production without remedying these faults which could be very easily sorted during production if a proper jig was used to build the exhausts.

Perhaps I should have sent my OE exhausts away for rechroming sooner. :oops:
PaulD738

Re: Higgspeed exhausts, fitting problems

Post by PaulD738 »

Well I'm saying nowt :tw
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

PaulD738 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:34 am Well I'm saying nowt :tw
That's novel...... :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Robbieben wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:00 am I bought a set of Higgspeeds for my GT750B, arrived as promised and are very well made, look very good, nicely polished and finished off. Unfortunately that is where the good points end.

The 3 fittings supplied with the exhausts that bolt into the cylinder head do not tighten up onto the gaskets before they bottom out on the face of the flange. The gasket sealing face to flange length needs to be 12mm longer to allow compression of the gasket. The flange thickness is too thin and deflects reducing the clearance even more preventing secure fitment.
Right hand exhaust has no depression for rear brake clearance so the rear brake is not effectively useable.
The left hand exhaust again has no depression on the underside to accomodate the centre stand or side stand, in my case neither stand would fold up beyond 60 - 75% without any rubber bump stops fitted.
The centre exhaust again has no depression to allow the centre stand to fully retract.

As I see the above faults these could all be easily remedied during production to produce a lovely set of exhausts, searching sites and forums I am not the only person to have had issues, dissapointingly I have removed the exhausts and I am returning for a refund.

I could extend the flanges or use 2 gaskets with each flange and take a mallet of similar to the exhausts after applying some heat to make the system a workable fit but I'd then be polishing them back up and if it went wrong I'd be out of pocket and have no exhausts.
I'm more dissapointed that it would appear other people have had similar issues but Higgspeed have continued production without remedying these faults which could be very easily sorted during production if a proper jig was used to build the exhausts.

Perhaps I should have sent my OE exhausts away for rechroming sooner. :oops:
Taking a mallet to them would be a great idea. The best thing you can do to the things is beat them flat :lol:
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

The best thing to do is send them back.
If everyone did this they would have to rectify the problem.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Kettletimes3 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:19 pm The best thing to do is send them back.
Then you would have even more anti-social sods deafening good citizens :lol:
Robbieben

Post by Robbieben »

Kettletimes3 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:19 pm The best thing to do is send them back.
The exhausts are on their way back as we speak, I've been offered a full refund. A set of Gibsons/Allspeeds is now on order. :D
Chris57

Post by Chris57 »

Robbieben wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:09 am
The exhausts are on their way back as we speak, I've been offered a full refund. A set of Gibsons/Allspeeds is now on order. :D
One of the BEST decisions you'll ever make, I SAID, THAT'S ONE OF THE.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I take it you didn't like the stock or expansion pipes offered by Delkevik ?, the quality is excellent for the price.
Robbieben

Post by Robbieben »

Chris57 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:55 am
Robbieben wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:09 am
One of the BEST decisions you'll ever make, I SAID, THAT'S ONE OF THE.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I take it you didn't like the stock or expansion pipes offered by Delkevik ?, the quality is excellent for the price.
The original exhausts are sound but the chrome is poor and has light pitting all over, I have tried polishing them up but they just don't look good enough, I'm now soaking them in "Carbon Off" before I soak in Caustic Soda, once they are clean enough I'm sending them for rechroming.
I bought the Higgspeeds as more of a stop gap TBH as they were reasonably priced, now I know why they were cheaper than anything else available, I really should know better :oops: The Delkevic pipes are nice but I want to keep the centre stand.
The Allspeeds/Gibsons may well be a keeper and I have the OE rechromed pipes to go with the bike if I ever sell it or decide to refit them for the "Standard Look". My trouble is I've never left a bike standard in my life. :D
asco58

Post by asco58 »

Robbieben wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:07 am The Allspeeds/Gibsons may well be a keeper
I have a set of Gibson/Allspeeds on the GT550 and I don't think I'll be removing them anytime soon and not just because my OE exhausts are in bad condition. :D