Centre Stand

You can chat about anything you like here
Burblebloke

Centre Stand

Post by Burblebloke »

Morning all! I've searched the forum for info on this subject but think it may not be a common issue? I'm a relatively new Kettle owner and I wouldn't describe myself as puny but getting this thing on the centre stand is a real piece of heavy lifting. Gotta be done first time with a combination of brute force and balance, failing on attempt one requires a break for recovery. A mate of mine tried it and braced his knee (unintentionally) on the side panel and bent the badge! Is this normal or am I really a weakling???
Alan H

Re: Centre Stand

Post by Alan H »

Foot on the stand and press down, right hand on the front (left) footrest and just pull back. Easy.

Oh btw, you are a weakling!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Burblebloke wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:17 am Morning all! I've searched the forum for info on this subject but think it may not be a common issue? I'm a relatively new Kettle owner and I wouldn't describe myself as puny but getting this thing on the centre stand is a real piece of heavy lifting. Gotta be done first time with a combination of brute force and balance, failing on attempt one requires a break for recovery. A mate of mine tried it and braced his knee (unintentionally) on the side panel and bent the badge! Is this normal or am I really a weakling???
It isn't easy. If you think about it, it is a simple cantilever so you should be able to acheive it by pressing down on the stand peg whilst lifting with the handle IF the stand peg isn't bent downwards. Common problem and if it is you will always struggle. The peg should be parallel with no downward angle. Just check to make sure. Kev
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Pulling on the nearside footpeg might work on smaller inferior Suzuki triples ;) but try that on a man size kettle and you'll risk putting your back out. :o
I've owned my kettle for 34 years and the method I use makes it simple :ugeek: At home I have a piece of wood 1 inch thick x 18 inch long x 4 inch wide, which I push the back wheel onto, this makes the foot on the centre stand and hand under the frame method dead easy.
Obviously I can't carry the piece of wood around with me, so when out I just use the sidestand, however if there's a camber or slope on the road just reverse the bike in and while it's moving use the momentum to put the centre stand down. Simples :D
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Balance the bike hold it upright by the saddle. Left foot push stand down so both legs on the floor. Weight your left foot and pull backwards(i use the indicator stalk)the bike will pop onto the stand. :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
2strokejohnny

Post by 2strokejohnny »

I turn the handle bars full lock foot on the stand hold grab rail pull back,might squeeze a little fart out :D jobs a good 'un,John
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

I ask the wife to give me a pull :lol:
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Harrymail wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:19 pm I ask the wife to give me a pull :lol:
How dare you sir, we don't want to read smut like that on here :o ;)
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

stevewharton wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:27 pm
Harrymail wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:19 pm I ask the wife to give me a pull :lol:
How dare you sir, we don't want to read smut like that on here :o ;)
I couldn't resist that one, but seriously, I do ask the wife to help when I put the 550 on the centre stand in the garage. I do like your plank of wood idea Steve.
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
teazer

Post by teazer »

And I thought I was old and weak. :-)

I found the Dunstall to be almost impossible to put on the center stand because the bodywork got in the way and made it feel top heavy. The others are not hard to put on the stand and the trick is simple.

Hold the bike. Put one foot on the stand extension - that does most of the work. Grab the rear frame or any part you can easily get your hand on to pull it backwards.

Push down hard on the stand extension and if necessary, use it like a kickstarter on a goldie and put all your weight into that effort and with a slightest pull on the rear of the bike, it will lift up and back onto the stand.

It doesn't take a huge amount of weight or strength, but it does take confidence and that's where I went wrong with the Dunstall. I didn't want to drop it, so I was too tentative.

The other alternative is to simply ride/push it into a Condor style stand that goes over center to lock the front wheel in place.