Shed time. What've you been up to?

You can chat about anything you like here
Alan H

Shed time. What've you been up to?

Post by Alan H »

Fitted new plates & springs to the Earwig. Remantled all the exhausts, rear brake and other gubbins that was taken off to get the clutch off, then went for a blast on my 'circuit'. Still a bit of clutch slip, but I didn't adjust the drybollix, so that'll be another day's job. Nice to be back on a 550 that doesn't misfire.
Fitted some engine bars to the GS. What a faff - some strange 'teardrop' nuts under the engine and one wasn't very happy so has been replaced with summat out of the spares box. Job done and starts/runs nice.
Hippo started 1st push of the button, then stopped after I took the choke off too quick, and the dreaded 'click' when button pressed then, but went 1st kick and ran ok. Charged battery for 3 hours or so, but just a click, so another job to do. Loose electrosummat hopefully. Otherwise runs ok.
550J still in the naughty corner and I wonder if the points cam is off a 380, which engine spins the other way? Mebbe the points are bouncing due to being lifted too quick due to cam profile? Hmmm. Spoke to a mate (yes there are one or two....) and a proper 550 points cam is on its way for nowtpence (due to previous favours), so whistle see, hopefully by weekend - otherwise there will be more swearing and probably a complete rewire of the ignition circuitry. :(
No pics as I had the call for beef bougi borgward bouganvilla stew and Yorkshire puds and that DEFFO took precedence!!

Oh, and repotted several carnivorous plants in the greenhouse. Took pics, but need to edit them, so yer'll hatter wait.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
rodent

Re: Shed time. What've you been up to?

Post by rodent »

I'm changing an exhaust donut on this puppy.

PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Been tarting up my Kat. It managed to topple over getting it out of the garage a couple of years ago and although I managed to slow the fall slightly the indicator punched a hole in the fairing :oops: I did a temporary repair (bodge) but paint and bodywork ain't my thing :lol: see first pics.
I gave the fairing to a professional to to a proper job, see second pics.
As the standard headlight is crap there is a conversion involving a Toyota sports car headlight unit which I've done. I also tarted the headlamp cage up. Third set of pics.
The original exhaust system decided to return to nature and rotted from inside out. A friend donated a rough but solid standard system which I've cleaned up and painted so that's done, last set of pics. Busy busy busy 8-)
Attachments
IMG_20210505_093806_hdr.jpg
IMG_20210505_093723_hdr.jpg
IMG_20210513_135333_hdr.jpg
IMG_20210513_135353_hdr.jpg
IMG_20210510_141525_hdr.jpg
IMG_20210510_141536_hdr.jpg
IMG_1231_kindlephoto-123228040.jpg
IMG_20210516_152226_hdr.jpg
IMG_20210516_152235_hdr.jpg
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
teazer

Post by teazer »

I have never had any issues with stale gas and I'm pretty sure the gas in the wife's FZR400 is at least 2 years old and it fires up and runs great. It will be drained and replaced with fresh gas before it goes for a decent run though.

So I fired up the Phat Trakka and idle was high and erratic and it had a case of the shakes, so I grabbed to temperature gun and sure as fate, one pot was cool. Out came the plugs and they were OK but in went a new set just because I could. Tested compression and still a healthy 150 psi cold.

So off came the tank and carbs. I drained the fuel form each float bowl one at a time into a small container and stuff me gently if there wasn't water in one of the bowls. The other two were clean. No trace of water. The bike has never been outside when it's wet, so it must have been condensation, but why only in one? I hadn't seen that before. Maybe a mouse peed in that air filter. I wonder if the carb drain tube is too close to the crankcase and drew in condensation. I'll check that when I finish cleaning them and get them back on the bike.

I did take some fuel samples from the jug and no trace of water in there, so it must have been out of the air or off the crankcases.

I really want to finish off the CB160 cafe racer rebuild. I managed to fabricate new rearset levers and now the stock kickstarter hits the brake lever, so that's next on the list of things to modify. Then I can get back to GT750s
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

And here's the reason I had to sort out the exhausts :oops:
They looked really nice when I bought the bike, honest guvnor :lol:
Attachments
IMG_20210524_145709_hdr.jpg
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
mick 63

Post by mick 63 »

Took my 13ft x 6ft shed and lean to down and had this built instead 8-)
Attachments
8.jpg
1.jpg
4.jpg
mick 63

Post by mick 63 »

22ft long and 9ft 6" wide , sparkies coming friday to put elecky in then should be back up and running again ;)
Attachments
36.jpg
30.jpg
22.jpg
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

You can't beat plenty of room - until it's full again!! :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
keithbailey

Post by keithbailey »

Extended garage now 46ft long but starting to get a bit tight with 7 bikes in there.
Attachments
grext.jpg
KETTLE 750 J
BMW S1000XR
Harley Road King
Honda CB750 K
Lambretta 1964 ser 3
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Like my garage Keith, too many fridges and freezers :roll: put your foot down mate or next it'll be tumble dryers and vacuum cleaners, etc, etc, and no room for bikes, don't ask how I know :oops: :x
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".