Winter storage and Ethanol

You can chat about anything you like here
ogri211

Winter storage and Ethanol

Post by ogri211 »

The debate about the damage the ethanol in the petrol does when storing bikes over the winter. I would always leave my bikes about 90% full and drain the carbs, but now with the combined damage done with the ethanol and the fact that the fuel goes off so probably would have to be drained in the spring and replaced I was wondering what other people were planing to do? I have heard somewhere put some Paraffin mixed with 2T to coat the inside of your tank,this sounds ok but would probably require cleaning out when refilling with petrol. I was thinking of getting some Avgas which I believe does not contain ethanol as I’m sure you don’t want an aeroplane engine failing, putting maybe 2 gallons in each bike with small amount of 2 Stroke and shaking the tank to coat the inside, my theory is , as the Avgas shouldn’t go off as quick as the e5.When going back on the road, I could then just fill the bike up which would dilute the Avgas and2T to a level that would effect the performance very much until I run the tank down low and the refill as normal. What are other people planning for storage.
Suzuki Gt750A
Kawasaki Z900 A4
Kawasaki Z1300
Buell S1 Lightning
Royal Enfield Diesel.
itsnotateapot

Re: Winter storage and Ethanol

Post by itsnotateapot »

I will do absolutely bugger all like I all ways do as my bikes get used regularly 8-) 8-)
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

itsnotateapot wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:39 pm I will do absolutely bugger all like I all ways do as my bikes get used regularly 8-) 8-)
And mine, but not on salty winter roads, salt goes on fish and chips, not my kettle :D

(Oh no, I've just realised, I've set myself up for the chuckle brothers slow wit reparte) :roll:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
slosher

Post by slosher »

Fill em add Stabil and run for 3 or 4mins then put them to bed ;)
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)