DELKEVIC PIPE TEST

You can chat about anything you like here
BAZ

DELKEVIC PIPE TEST

Post by BAZ »

I have now fitted my first set of Delkevic pipes so I thought I would do a short review of my findings. The pipes arrived from China well packed with polystyrene inserts so no risk of damage.
On removing the packaging the chrome finish looked very good, a bit brighter than the genuine pipes. Unlike the genuine standard pipes they were shiny even on areas invisible when fitted to the bike. On close inspection the welding and fit were very good. I also weighed the pipes and they worked out at approximately 2kg lighter than a standard complete set. I fitted the pipes with no problems, so externally they are about the same size and shape.
The bad news came when I started the bike.

They sounded exactly like a set of expansion chambers not a bit like standard pipes. As you know we try to keep everything positive on the forum but I have to be truthful. I have noticed that 99% of Kettlers are making standard bikes so would like standard sound, I certainty do! That deep hum when cruising is a sound from heaven. I reckon that Suzuki went to a lot of trouble when designing the bike to get this right.
It would seem that Delkevic have not quite hit the mark here because if they had included the acoustic baffling (See picture) I think they would have sounded just like the original pipes. However, If you have no pipes and you want the original kettle look and don't mind the sound, ride and enjoy.

I have included some sound files of standard pipes and the Devavic. Thanks for reading. BAZ

Standard pipes http://youtu.be/c8eO7ifQ0e8

Delkevic pipes http://youtu.be/z2A7lIDQczQ
Attachments
PIPE.jpg
grand tourer

Re: DELKEVIC PIPE TEST

Post by grand tourer »

That's where the 2KG saving came from then Baz that acoustic baffling is like everthing in Japanese design............there for a reason. they're not for me I'd better let Santa know!
Andy
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

I belive most 2 Stroke pipes have it in some form inside.
kettlesimon

Post by kettlesimon »

I understand the comments re the "tinny" sound, but at least it gives people the chance to buy new pipes rather than trying to patch up 35 year old ones (Rust/dents/seized baffles/carbon). I have always wondered why Suzuki have never bothered to restart spares production for the GT750, they must be aware of the ongoing interest in this particular model. We can only live in hope.
grand tourer

Post by grand tourer »

Point taken but how much extra would it have cost to produce them with the acoustic baffle? and who's idea was it to leave it out? when you hear Baz's bike with his mint standard pipes on it it's got that lovely burble that we all know and recognise as the kettle, it's a one off sound never before the manufacture of the kettle did we hear this nor did we hear it on anything after it ceased production.( same goes for the 380 and 550) I would say I speak for the majority when I say that appearance is only 50% of the deal with standard pipes the other 50% is accurate reproduction of that sound as you only have to look how many people scrimp and scrape to keep a standard set road worthy for that reason. I would imagine Delkevic could incorporate the acoustic baffle at little extra cost as now it will obviously affect sales, remember should you be unfortunate enough to have a spill these will be the source of replacement pipe for the insurance companies.let's hope something can be done as they are probably on everbody's wish list that own a kettle.
Andy
kettle738

Post by kettle738 »

The sound of the Delkevics was my only real criticism of the set Ian (snowyrock) fitted to his bike.....I always know if he's turning up now by the civilised expansion chamber noise; but if the alternative is a grotty set of pipes they are still a no brainer and I guess we are very lucky to be able to get them.

That said, the manufactureres would do well to use a 'rivet counter' (detail consultant) from the owners club or forum for whatever system they are planning to make to avoid disappointments.

I recently bought a set of replica silencers for a 1966 CB450 Black Bomber....initial impressions were good, but small details ruined them, really small stuff like grinding the weld off the rear tailpipe as per the originals hadn't been done, it totally altered the appearance and can't be done once they are chromed. They had also omitted the reinforcing plates at the rear and changed the fitting to the downpipe so the original clamp could not be used. Totally ruined for lack of attention to detail, so they got sent back.

There are replica 'baseball bat' silencers for the Yamaha XS1 and XS2 series available that are so good I'm told it's pretty much impossible to tell from originals once fitted, so it can be done.

The Delkevic's are incredibly good IMO, but with a tiny bit more attention to detail they could have been near perfect. But that means it is still worth looking after that mint set of originals.

Mick................kettle738
kettlesimon

Post by kettlesimon »

Having listened again to the clip supplied by BAZ, they sound a little like a Kawasaki KH250/H2
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Remember this sound recording is not perfect I don't think there is a microphone made that can record this complex sound full of harmonics!
camper

Post by camper »

hi baz

when i fitted my thy sounded tinny.did you chech the clearance on the bottom left exhaust by the chain.

regards

ken
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Yes no fitting problems here.