Hippo update time.

You can chat about anything you like here
Alan H

Re: Hippo update time.

Post by Alan H »

The hippo has finally decided to be reliable and just starts and runs now - I expect that by posting this, it'll all change..... :roll:
Anyway, too many bikes and too much to do, so the herd may get thinned out soon.
I do like triples, but there again, I always did fancy a 500..... :?
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:The hippo has finally decided to be reliable and just starts and runs now - I expect that by posting this, it'll all change..... :roll:
Anyway, too many bikes and too much to do, so the herd may get thinned out soon.
I do like triples, but there again, I always did fancy a 500..... :?
Wot a real triple like a Mach1?
Or do you mean the best aircooled two stroke on the planet a T500?
ps, don’t get a GT there feckkin ugly :tw
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

The Mach 1 was the 250 - S1. The 500 was the Mach 111.
A mate has just bought one of the very first ones and I had a look at it yesterday during 'pie club Friday!
Shocking how thin the frame and swing arm tubes are.
Ths T500 is the best 2 stroke TWIN imo, I still prefer the GT550 though.
malky

Post by malky »

Alan H wrote:The Mach 1 was the 250 - S1. The 500 was the Mach 111.
A mate has just bought one of the very first ones and I had a look at it yesterday during 'pie club Friday!
Shocking how thin the frame and swing arm tubes are.
Ths T500 is the best 2 stroke TWIN imo, I still prefer the GT550 though.
Get yourself a nice T500 Al - cracking bike I enjoyed mine on the I.O.M back in the summer - you'll be able to keep up with Richard then :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Went out on BH t'other day. Took a bit of starting but ran well for 50 odd miles. Looks like it should be ok for betws-y-coed anyway. Of course there's an oil leak from 'somewhere underneath'......
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Alan H wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:42 pm Went out on BH t'other day. Took a bit of starting but ran well for 50 odd miles. Looks like it should be ok for betws-y-coed anyway. Of course there's an oil leak from 'somewhere underneath'......
Got the kettle out of winter hibernation yesterday and surprisingly it started second prod on the button, :shock: gave it a good clean and fettle then went out for a 50 mile spin and boy did I enjoy it.
It's understandable why I've owned FAB for 34 years when I get such a buzz out of riding it.
Stopped at Willingham Woods for about an hour and when I went back to it, it struggled to start on the button, sounded like the starter motor was just spinning wildly and not engaging. Guess that's the starter clutch needing some attention, still starts easily with the kickstart though.
Another little problem has appeared, I've lost number 3 on the digital display, maybe just needs a clean??? Looking good for the Wales rally, hopefully :roll: ;)
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Hippo started 1st push of the button, then stopped after I took the choke off too quick, and the dreaded 'click' when button pressed then, but went 1st kick and ran ok. Charged battery for 3 hours or so, but just a click, so another job to do. Loose electrosummat hopefully. Otherwise runs ok.
Waiting for a better weather say to get in the garage & get some bike stuff done.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

The lekky start has been acting up recently with the dreaded 'click' and no 'electric leg'. Kickstart ok, but I don't particularly like 'em when there's a better way. Tested and tried the solenoid and all ok, and if I put the bike in gear and rock it backwards a tad, it seems to work, so it appears that one of the commutator segments on the starter motor may be open circuit. Of course it works mostly, just not all the time.
Anyway, took Hippo to Uncle Baz's in Dudley yesterday and had a new starter motor swapped in - bit of a faff as it's under the carbs, but all sorted and spins the engine over much better. Must remember to get some anti freeze & watter in it before I go for a run.....
Thanks Baz & John, the wallet moths are now in rehab...... :roll:
Last edited by Alan H on Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

BH went to the Clifford Arms ages ago and acted the teddy with the battery not charging. Fortunately Richard was 'in convoy', so batteries were swapped and running lights and front brake switch were disconnected to give a bit more life in it to get home.
BH has been in the naughty corner since, plus there were jobs to be done on the other bikes....
Had a look at the alternator today and no test from input (to the rotor) to earth and after some unmantling, found that one of the rotor brushes 31631-31011 had disconnected itself from the solder joint - possibly because it was worn. Sooooo, as Baz was asleep, I had a look on eblob and Suzuki have them at £12.21 + the inevitable £5 postage. Or double from elsewhere...
Anyway after further unmantling and finding the spring that nearly had me eye out - good job I had me 'workshop specs' on! - ordered a pair of ebay 254932351583 brushes instead. Remantling will commence 'soon'.
Last edited by Alan H on Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
slosher

Post by slosher »

Alan H wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:37 pm ordered a pair of ebay 254932351583 brushes instead.
These are for the 550 Alan aye they :?: if so which size do you order ;)
Noticed my 550 was charging then stopped then started to charge again i think the last time i checked the brushes on the jenny they where quite low :roll:

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)