Need opinion

Skyguyz

Need opinion

Post by Skyguyz »

First off, I have to raise my novice flag once agin. I hope these questions are not to basic. But I just have to be sure of some things...

1) I have my engine cases and cylinders & cylinder head at the machine shop and am going to have them media blasted, (More on that later; Glass blast vs plastic blast) and the only parts I was unable/unsure of to remove is the pesky SRIS OIL HOSE UNION 16910-31010 X3. It looks like they are pressed fit and I will buy new ones but should they be removed prior to blasting? Also, what is the best way to get them out?

2) I'm having the cylinders bored over 1 mm and the subject of chamfering came up. The machine shop can do stage 1, 2 or 3. 3 being most aggressive. I opted for stage 1 light which include blending the bore & hone and the ports. I assume the ports need this chamfering even though the rings stay in place?

3) Media blasting. To have the exterior cases and the cylinder head and cylinders done in glass bead blasting it will leave a mat like finish and can be a little pourous but will look clean and very uniform. Should I consider Plastic shot blasting as this will leave a smoother finish. Opinions please?

As always, Thanks for any and all replies.

Sky

My 2015 BMW Racer....Not particularly comfy or fast but what a thrill!

Last edited by Skyguyz on Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barney01

Re: Need opinion fast...

Post by barney01 »

Firstly I would want to remove those SRIS valve's before cleaning. The early models had interference fit valves. A liberal dose of plus gas (much better than WD40) and if that doesn't work some gentle heat may crack the seal.
With regards to the chamfering. This is essential. The pistons are in fact not round but oval shaped. That's why there is an arrow on the crown. The rings do in fact move into the port during combustion and the chamfer reduces the impact on the rings.
With media blasting both types you suggest are aggressive and vapour blasting is much kinder and looks fabulous.
All of the above are just my opinion others may have a different idea :D
Good luck!
Nice BM by the way
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

+1 on what Barney suggests, vapour blasting every time. Do make sure every nook & cranny is clear of media before you re-assemble everything though otherwise your freshly built engine won’t last long.
Be absolutely sure everything is 200% clean before you start.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
teazer

Post by teazer »

I would recommend leaving the SRIS valves in place to minimize the amount of grit that gets into those tiny passages.

If you absolutely have to blast the casings, I'd also recommend vapor blasting. But the side covers are polished, top crankcase half is painted, sides of teh barrels are polished and front and back are painted , so there's not a lot to blast. The head probably and then polish the ends.

If you are going to replace the SRIS valves, grab them with vice grips and twist and turn. They come out easily..
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

barney01 wrote:Firstly I would want to remove those SRIS valve's before cleaning. The early models had interference fit valves. A liberal dose of plus gas (much better than WD40) and if that doesn't work some gentle heat may crack the seal.
With regards to the chamfering. This is essential. The pistons are in fact not round but oval shaped. That's why there is an arrow on the crown. The rings do in fact move into the port during combustion and the chamfer reduces the impact on the rings.
With media blasting both types you suggest are aggressive and vapour blasting is much kinder and looks fabulous.
All of the above are just my opinion others may have a different idea :D
Good luck!
Nice BM by the way

Vapor blasting it is. The opinions expressed here are consistent and so helpful. I will have the barrels chamfered but not drastically. I will remove those SRIS peskys thinghys before blasting.

Thanks for your help barney.

Sky
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

PaulD738 wrote:+1 on what Barney suggests, vapour blasting every time. Do make sure every nook & cranny is clear of media before you re-assemble everything though otherwise your freshly built engine won’t last long.
Be absolutely sure everything is 200% clean before you start.

I will spend an extrodenary amount of time making sure all the vapor blasted is cleaned from everywhere. Even minute amounts can turn months of work into rubbish.

Clean clean clean and when I am happy, clean some more. :lol:

Thanks Paul

Sky
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

If you're going to remove the sris valves, I'd blank the holes off before blasting. Spoke to a guy recently who had major problems after blasting media got into the coolant and lube systems and wasn't cleaned out properly.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

teazer wrote:I would recommend leaving the SRIS valves in place to minimize the amount of grit that gets into those tiny passages.

If you absolutely have to blast the casings, I'd also recommend vapor blasting. But the side covers are polished, top crankcase half is painted, sides of teh barrels are polished and front and back are painted , so there's not a lot to blast. The head probably and then polish the ends.

If you are going to replace the SRIS valves, grab them with vice grips and twist and turn. They come out easily..

Vapor it is. I will polish the side covers myself as I have a done a lot of this before and am quite familiar Although the OEM look of top cases painted, etc, I think I will go for the uniform look of vapor blast. I appreciate the OEM details.

Thanks tear.

Sky

My never ending polish job on my Norton: :lol:

slosher

Post by slosher »

That Norton looks a real beauty Sky those casing's look like they have been chromed 8-) very bloody nice.One thing that drives me up the wall with my Bonnie is how quick the headers start to discolour :evil: trying to source some stainless steel down pipes but finding them hard to get in the UK all the best with Kettle mate i find them a lot easier to work on than Brit bikes :)
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
2strokejohnny

Post by 2strokejohnny »

have you tried this ? worked on my Bonnie but have to do it yearly
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Job%C2%AE ... B015GGY61Q
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny