GT750A original 34000ks

tubehead

GT750A original 34000ks

Post by tubehead »

I am about to purchase this bike and ks are confirmed as original and bike runs well with no excessive smoke once it has warmed up.
My question is can the crank seals survive 43 years and still be doing there job or am I looking at a bottom end strip in the near future.
stevewharton

Re: GT750A original 34000ks

Post by stevewharton »

tubehead wrote:My question is can the crank seals survive 43 years and still be doing there job or am I looking at a bottom end strip in the near future.
A trip into the unknown is what you can expect, you may be lucky and have no problems for the forseeable, or if it's been stood a while it could need attention soon. It sounds like I'm being a bit negative, but I wouldn't want to give you false hope when there's no definite answer to the question. What I would say is if the price is right and the bike's tidy and all there, go for it.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
zapo

Post by zapo »

Kettles can run well but still have duff/knackered crank seals.
Mine did.
It's more likely to show itself if you test ride the bike warm for at least 5 miles and include several goes at redlining it in 2nd and 3rd.
Then check for gearbox oil seeping out of the small hole on the bottom corner of the two stroke oil pump cover.
Weeping oil means bad news.
No weeping oil means cross your fingers and you could be okay.

Cheers
I had two stroke's and survived.
tubehead

Post by tubehead »

I think common sense would say it must have sat at some stage but seems to run well once warm with virtually no smoke which to my mind said it was ok.
However it seems that this is not true so I wish I had the opportunity to run that longer test with a run to redline as described but owner is not going to agree to that.
Bike is expensive end of market and very nice condition.
Given the best scenario how long do crankcase seals generally last GTs?
tubehead

Post by tubehead »

http://www.manspacemagazine.com.au/anti ... rettyPhoto
here is the bike in question and it is still pretty much same condition only having done another 3000ks since then.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

That looks really original and tidy and well looked after too, I don't know what the price is in Oz, but here in the UK it would sell for around £8000 to £10000 GBP, as long as you were happy with the crankshaft seals question. If the bike is still on original seals as stated and it's been stood for a long time without the engine being turned over, then I'd be a bit wary about the seals drying out and becoming hard, they can then stick to the crankshaft and tear and that's when the problems start. If as you say you've ridden the bike with no smoking or leaks then "perhaps" all is okay.
My "A" model has covered 157,000 miles and had the seals replaced through wear two times, it doesn't get used through the winter months while there's salt on the roads, but I do turn the engine over regularly whilst it's stood. There's a lot to be said about knowing your bike and after 32 years I think I know mine very well, if the owner of the one you're looking at can guarantee he's looked after it well and you trust him, and the price is right, I'd go for it.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
tubehead

Post by tubehead »

stevewharton wrote:That looks really original and tidy and well looked after too, I don't know what the price is in Oz, but here in the UK it would sell for around £8000 to £10000 GBP, as long as you were happy with the crankshaft seals question. If the bike is still on original seals as stated and it's been stood for a long time without the engine being turned over, then I'd be a bit wary about the seals drying out and becoming hard, they can then stick to the crankshaft and tear and that's when the problems start. If as you say you've ridden the bike with no smoking or leaks then "perhaps" all is okay.
My "A" model has covered 157,000 miles and had the seals replaced through wear two times, it doesn't get used through the winter months while there's salt on the roads, but I do turn the engine over regularly whilst it's stood. There's a lot to be said about knowing your bike and after 32 years I think I know mine very well, if the owner of the one you're looking at can guarantee he's looked after it well and you trust him, and the price is right, I'd go for it.
Thanks to everyone for comments.
It pretty much sounds like it's cross your fingers.
The bike is $11000AUD = 6200GBP which is the right price here to sell with many asking closer to $15000 AUD.
Not that very many come onto the market here so choice is limited.I was hopeful of finding one that had recently had a rebuilt crank purely for the crank seal issue as although capable of stripping the motor I would rather spend time riding than fixing these days after a lifetime of projects/rebuilds etc.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

At £6200GBP I'd go for it, even if there's the expense of an engine stripdown in the near future, the total would still be within the upper price range you mention, you'd have a nice sorted bike to play with and a solid investment.