T250 Kick Starter Spring Tension Procedure

Syd

T250 Kick Starter Spring Tension Procedure

Post by Syd »

Just about to assemble my T250 engine and my Haynes T250-T350 Twins Manual doesn't provide info on how to tension the kick starter spring before you put the cases together. Does anyone have a link or a Suz manual instruction on how to do this, cheers
Roger Ackery

Re: T250 Kick Starter Spring Tension Procedure

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi Syd, not Suzuki related, but video on kick starter "You Tube"
"How to properly time & wind your kick starter before assembly"
I Googled it, should help you to do yours ;)
Cheers,
Roger.
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
summer0123

Post by summer0123 »

Syd
The kick starter spring is tensioned after the cases are bolted together. This is done by attaching the kick starter arm on the left side of the engine and then tensioning the spring by rotating the arm clockwise.
While someone is holding the arm fit the pawl,pin and spring on the right side of the engine (other end of the shaft) and while depressing the pawl spring into the shaft fit the stop plate to the casing using the two countersunk screws. When the kick arm is released the spring will be tensioned.
The other thing to make sure of is that the hook on the end of the kick start spring is located correctly in the slot on the casing before bolting the two casings together
paul
Syd

Post by Syd »

Thanks for the info guys - How many turns clockwise do you do ie: rotate the shaft 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns or something like this to get the correct spring tension before you set it in place?
summer0123

Post by summer0123 »

Only only have to rotate the shaft a little further than the rotational distance you do when you kick the bike over. This will allow the the kick starter pawl stop to be fitted while you compress the pawl against the pawl spring. When you release the kick start arm the spring is tensioned. I actually used a mole grips to rotate the shaft and tension the spring because I found it easier to lock in the tensioned position while I fitted the pawl and stop plate.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Great, thanks for the info.