Steering lock

PaulD738

Steering lock

Post by PaulD738 »

My T500 came with a steering lock fitted but no key. Looking at the lock there are no numbers anywhere but in the back of the casing there is a tang which I presume holds the barrel in? I know it’s possible to re-key an ignition switch as Mike Yeadon has done a fair few, but is it possible to do the same to the steering lock. I know you can buy new locks but 1) I’m tight and 2) I want to keep it original as possible 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
canaletto5

Re: Steering lock

Post by canaletto5 »

I think you've answered your own question Paul. I'm pretty sure Mike can reconfigure your lock to a key of your choice
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Yes it is possible.
Mike does a good job but I'd do it for nowt, but the postage will be expensive.
Very expensive.
Probably more than Mike would charge to do the job.
Not in a rush are you?
Choice is yours, of course........ :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:Yes it is possible.
Mike does a good job but I'd do it for nowt, but the postage will be expensive.
Very expensive.
Probably more than Mike would charge to do the job.
Not in a rush are you?
Choice is yours, of course........ :roll:
A very kind offer I think? unfortunately I don’t have an original key to re-key it too. My ignition switch is an aftermarket one as both the original used ones I bought are wrong for the bike and one of them is missing it’s key :oops: I’m fairly sure the key wasn’t the same as the ignition key anyway?
If I can find a lock key on tinternet I might have a go myself now I know it can be done.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!

yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Hi Paul,
Catching up on back issues on KC.
As it happens, I’ve got about 20 steering locks and I think six are the early type which accepts a one sided key.
All the later ones use symmetrical keys.
If you have any one sided keys, I expect I could modify your or one of mine to respond to the same key. I think.
PM me if still unsolved.
Cheers, Mike
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

yeadon_m wrote:Hi Paul,
Catching up on back issues on KC.
As it happens, I’ve got about 20 steering locks and I think six are the early type which accepts a one sided key.
All the later ones use symmetrical keys.
If you have any one sided keys, I expect I could modify your or one of mine to respond to the same key. I think.
PM me if still unsolved.
Cheers, Mike
Cheers Mike, Alan sent me a numbered lock which I managed to get the correct key for. All sorted now thanks 8-)

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

PaulD738 wrote: Cheers Mike, Alan sent me a numbered lock which I managed to get the correct key for. All sorted now thanks 8-)
And didn't charge him owt, cos I felt sorry for him as he doesn't come from Yorkshire. ;)
(Don't tell anyone though - I've a reputation to keep!) :lol:
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Alan H wrote:
PaulD738 wrote: Cheers Mike, Alan sent me a numbered lock which I managed to get the correct key for. All sorted now thanks 8-)
And didn't charge him owt, cos I felt sorry for him as he doesn't come from Yorkshire. ;)
(Don't tell anyone though - I've a reputation to keep!) :lol:
I'm not from Yorkshire, (thank heavens) have you anything you'd like to give me for free? (Not advice, not sarcasm, not grammar lessons and no diving stories) :shock: :lol:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Of course. I'd like to give you your wallet back empty after you gave it to me, full. But if it really happened, I suspect the moths would hold it shut anyway.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Alan H wrote:Of course. I'd like to give you your wallet back empty after you gave it to me, full. But if it really happened, I suspect the moths would hold it shut anyway.
You seem to forget that I'm from Lincolnshire, where generous people live, not Yorkshire where you live and wallets have combination locks on them. :lol:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".