Disassembly

Steve72J

Disassembly

Post by Steve72J »

Hello, I have a 72 GT750 engine left over from a parts bike I picked up over 20 years ago. It had been sitting outside, uncovered. and buried in dirt up to the bottom case. I stripped what I good use and stored the pieces in my garage for for use. The engine was put outside on a pallet under a tarp.

I am trying to disassemble the engine for my own curiousity and perhaps to sell some usable pieces. The gears turn free, the pistons are locked up and after removing the head the cylinders and piston are covered in rust.

All the bolts that I can find are out but the lower case will not budge more than a putty knife which can be tapped into the gasket, slightly separating the case (1mm ?). The head is not moving at all.

I've seen the youtube videos of the cylinder removal using the homemade steel plate removal tool and that might be an option I might try later. But the case should split I would think. The youtube videos show a little wiggle and off it comes. Not in my case it doesn't.

Main goal is to get the engine in enough pieces that I can move it around myself without "hurting myself", get it off my workbench.

Any suggestions ? There are practically no areas to locate a pry bar of some sort and I hate to think of damaging the casing using wedges.
canaletto5

Re: Disassembly

Post by canaletto5 »

Double check you have all the bolts out. If my memory serves, there is a pesky upside down bolt which sits alongside one of the transmission mounts which is dead easy to overlook.
teazer

Re: Disassembly

Post by teazer »

Have you removed the clutch and the bearing cap/seal holder behind the sprocket?

I would pour in diesel or coke or your favourite derusting fluid into the barrels and use a puller plate and heat to remove the barrels. the process is heat, lift it evenly, loosen lift bolts, tap the barrel back down. RInse and repeat. The stud tunnels rust and bond to the studs so moving it up and then back down helps to break the bond.

It take a lot of time and patience, so don't rush it. The barrels will be worth saving as are the crankcases and potentially the transmission. Cranks will most likely be rusted beyond repair, but you won't know til you get there.