Post by stupot »

Heres a picture
Attachments
IMG_0867.JPG
everyones a winner
Hustler

Re: T500. Accent ignition?

Post by Hustler »

That is a picture of a Newtronic system. If I'm not mistaken.
Certainly not Accent.
Sean.
teazer

Post by teazer »

Looks like one to me too. Nicely done, but still just a Newtronics with optical triggers. It's possible that they may have rewound the stator too. It looks very clean and shiny. In fact, it all looks super clean. They do good work. I wonder if they used a Newtronics black box or if they created their own. They have the ability to create a DC CDI too.

When you timed it with a strobe, what happened? Was it just impossible to dial in at the right time or were both sides too far away from each other timewise?

When I first used an Ignitech system I had all sorts of issues determining the correct static timing and in the end I had to make an adapter so I could run it on the ignition test jig to see what was happening.
Attachments
IMG_20210203_174448556.jpg
Hustler

Post by Hustler »

Test rig! Wow far to deep for me I'm afraid.
I was using the strobe to indicate & confirm a spark.
Unlike the Newtronic system, which can be made to spark by tweaking the trigger rotor back & forth & The system will spark.
The Accent will only spark in one direction.
I must congratulate Uwe,s grasp of English. It is far superior to my grasp of German.
But his emails are just pure gibberish. Which doesn't help.
Seeing as I may be stuck with this system. (Which is now back in its box ready to be sent back from whence it came)
I will probably give it one more go, tho I don't know what I can do, that I haven't tried already.
I don't know what you have against the Newtronic system.
Other than its nowhere near as tidy & self contained as the Accent.
I have 2 Newtronics systems working fine.
I went for the Accent purely on its reputation with the triple guy's & its self contained neatness.
Sean.
teazer

Post by teazer »

I should fess up. My experience with Newtronics was years ago when I wanted to import and distribute them in the US. I also had one on a GT750 that had issues with the connections with the tiny wires.

I have used a few different electronic ignitions over the years, and like you, I liked what I read and saw about the Accent triple system. I fitted one on the yellow Dunstall and one to a friend's GT550 and they were easy to fit, accurate and reliable.

If you spin (kick?) the motor over while a friend uses the strobe, can you adjust the timing accurately enough to get it fired up and then fine tune the timing with a strobe light?

Pity you are not closer, or else I'd see what happens on our simple test jig. I built the test jig to test some used Motoplat systems for our TZs and then I needed to test a bunch for other people and then had an issue with timing of a rebuilt Hitachi TZ system that turned out to be a mismatch between components which means that it was always timed wrongly on the race bike and we never knew. It's useful for testing the DYNA system I used on a couple of GT750s and later for setting up Ignitech ECU timing curves off the bike.
stupot

Post by stupot »

Regarding my picture , I suppose Rex could have used what ever was at hand at the time , It looks nice and clean because the other components on my Iron are meant to look unrestored as my bike is a Rusteration.
Yes he either rewound my chargining system or provided a new one , like i said he did the whole lot as a combined unit. I roughly timed it by eye and once it was running i used a strobe to fine tune on to the timing marks not sure if thats right but it runs ok.
I wouldn't recommend Rexes system to anyone as it was eye wateringly expensive.
everyones a winner
teazer

Post by teazer »

And that's the issue with any custom system. The labor cost is high because it's all "on the clock" time. I do this for fun and converted a GT250 system that looked very much similar to yours but with a pair of Dyna modules on the old points mounting plates.

IIRC I had to get the alternator casting machined and I chose to modify the center post from a points ignition (Honda probably) to fit to test the idea and then had a new shaft machined and a new backing plate. I used a single module plus a double magnet rotor and double ended coil and then changed that to a pair of modules and single magnet rotor and twin coils. It all just takes time. If that job was on the clock, development cost would have been excessive.
It could be repeated quite simply but there's still some machining as well as a Dyna kit to buy, and that makes an Accent seem like an absolute bargain - as long as the OP can make it work.
Attachments
DSCN1485.JPG
Hustler

Post by Hustler »

Just an update.
I have been going through anything that may be causing a problem on the bike, rather than the Accent system.
As there was a flooding issue. That has now need sorted.
I have tried to fit the Accent again. And as Teaser said. The spark does indeed occur when the led goes out. Not when it lights up as stated in the instructions. Why issue useless backwards instructions?
Anyway. I can only get it to spark very close to the timing marks, when the backplate is turned to maximum retarded.
The slots probably need extending But the bike will still not fire.
So I will now go back to the points. Just to prove it is not the bike at fault.
Also. If I just spin the crank randomly. The system sparks wherever it stops regardless of its position in relation to the timing marks.
Hustler

Post by Hustler »

Further update.
Old points & condensers back in.
Started first kick!
Now for a refund.
teazer

Post by teazer »

The spark when it stops is probably just the system turning OFF. If you turn the ignition off at the main switch it will spark.

Not firing at all is a little odd though. the LED switches, so that suggests it the system is triggering correctly. Odd that it doesn't fire. First time for everything I guess.