T500. Accent ignition?

Hustler

T500. Accent ignition?

Post by Hustler »

Hello Folks.
Sorry for just barging in with a question, but I haven't found a introduction section.
Anyway, my question is...
Has anyone here fitted a Accent ignition to a T500?
If so. How did you get it to work?
Your thoughts are eagerly awaited.
Regards.
Sean.
willowden

Re: T500. Accent ignition?

Post by willowden »

Don’t think he does one for a 500 ?
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Welcome to the forum, Sean. They work great with a Kettle so should be OK with the 500 but why not stay with points, electronic ignition is pointless..
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

As far as I know, the only electronic ignition that fits the T500 is the Newtronic

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193435421140 ... SwG21eoeE6
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Points fitted to my T500 and I've no problems. I did build and race a TR500 replica with newtronic ignition and to be honest it didn't make any difference ;)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Hustler

Post by Hustler »

Hello again.
Thank you for your welcome and responses.
After a bit of research. I decided to buy a T500 system from Accent.
It arrived with very simple installation instructions. So simple a Baboon could follow them. Well it made a Monkey out of me.
It produces a big fat spark. But in the wrong place.
As per instruction. I lined up the L/h timing marks.
Switched on the ignition. Rotate the disc containing the magnets till the led lights up. Fix the disc at that point.
It should spark when the led lights. But it only sparks approximately 20deg after. Thus in the wrong place
Can't get a spit, pop, or splutter. Nothing.
Uwe has agreed to a refund providing there are no marks on the back plate. But we both know. The unit cannot be screwed into place without leaving witness marks.
So it looks like Im going to have to go Newtronics.
As they work fine on both my T250 & Rd400.
Regards.
Sean.
teazer

Post by teazer »

As is well known, I am a big fan of the Accent system and not any sort of fan of Newtronics. The only issue I had with Accent is the instructions as it relates to that pesky LED.

Try using a spark tester or just put the plug lead on the head or barrels and make it spark at the right time. I think you will find that the LED goes OFF at the spark not ON. Whatever Uwe's instruction says, the opposite is what I found to the the timing point.

As long as you can time it so that it sparks at the correct time.
Hustler

Post by Hustler »

Hello Teaser.
Thank you for your thoughts.
During the 3 nights trying to make the Accent system work.
I tried every permutation possible. Led on, led off, time it up with one magnet, then the other. Nothing. Used a strobe. Plugs in. Plugs out. Plug leads swapped. Oddly the 2 magnets are not at 180 degs apart. But Uwe says this is ok.
As for communication. Uwe,s English is far better than my German. But......
I have watched vids on YouTube showing the installation of the triple systems. They look to be ever so straight forward to fit. But this T500 unit. Having to twiddle the magnet disc this way & that. Still should be easy but it ain't. I've even had a mate round to have a go at fitting it. Just to eliminate any buffoonery on my part. But he failed also.
Regards.
Sean.
stupot

Post by stupot »

I had the age old problem of stripped points plate screw holes T500 . Luckily for me Rexes speed shop made me a combined charging and electronic points set up . But it was on the tad expensive side .
everyones a winner
Hustler

Post by Hustler »

As long as it worked. That's the point.