Exhaust Baffle Query

robdallow

Exhaust Baffle Query

Post by robdallow »

Guys, I have removed all 4 baffles from my 74 L and find that all of them are wrapped with some material and wired up for about half their length. What's this for, what is it wrapped in, what should I replace it with, if anything ? Also I see from the parts manual that only the inner pipe baffles are shown with this wrapping. What is correct, 2 or 4 baffles wrapped ? Thanks for any advice ? Rob.
yeadon_m

Re: Exhaust Baffle Query

Post by yeadon_m »

Rob,
Its a noise baffling wrap and optional whether or not to replace it - though if its all oily and nasty I'd take it off anyway.

Pics are of my GT750 baffles being rewrapped, using Yambits supplied wadding and soft wire.

Looks neat, but its a bit anoracky!
Cheers,
Mike
http://www.kettleclinick.com/viewtopic. ... 280&p=2001
Attachments
GT750 baffle wrapping002 (Large).jpg
GT750 baffle wrapping001 (Large).jpg
robdallow

Post by robdallow »

Thanks Mike,

I'm going to try it without the wadding. I hope the locals around here in the States appreciate the sound of a good old 2 stroke rather than the straight though Hogs that seem to be everywhere. It takes a Brit to break the mould !

Rob
Tonto

Post by Tonto »

Rob
I know its heresy to some folk, my Kettle owning mate thought it was plain wrong, but I left my wadding off after I cleaned my baffles.
I am probably in a minority, but I prefer to up the volume of the "Snap, Crackle, and Pop" just a little.

Although, I think you will definitely need a good set of spannies to compete with the JCB GT's and their Screamin Eagle pipes' over there.
Cheers Tim
slosher

Post by slosher »

Hi Rob,had a strange one today with baffle wadding,been running with no wadding on lower right pipe and bike has run fine.Replaced wadding on Monday night,first time out today and bike ran like a bag of Poo,left hand cylinder wasn't firing.Applied choke and cylinder kicked in ok,got back home took wadding off and now running ok again Funny old girls these kettles.I'm gonna leave it out for now and see what happens.
Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

I've always left the wadding off on stock pipes as I can't tell the difference in the noise at all between installed or not. Different story with spannies though - they (and your neighbours) really benefit from having it installed to flatten out the sound !
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

I've never used the wadding on the smaller lower pipes as the pressure in each is a lot lower than the large upper ones, and so they stay cleaner out back.
Two strokes, its just that simple.
750kr1

Post by 750kr1 »

Just checked and changed my wadding, had exhausts re-chromed late last year and since then 2500 miles and wadding was again completely crapped up, obviously mileage dependant on how often it needs replacing and reading posts, some keep & some dont, didnt fire it up without but cant see it making that much difference to noise, or does it ?
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Does anyone know if Delkevic bother to wrap their baffles or not in the "replica sets" Personally have always unwrapped any new baffles I have bought,as they do tend to "stuff" things up with mileage? Cheers, Roger.
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
camper

Post by camper »

the delkevic pipes are wrapped up with wadding,on my old pipes the wadding caused me nothing but problems,i rewrapped all 4 baffles and after a couple of weeks the bike started playing up and not running right the only thing i found was the wadding on the baffles it was soaked in watery oil i put the water down to moisture
build up in the pipes so took the wadding of and she run ok.