Exhaust Baffle Query

Roger Ackery

Re: Exhaust Baffle Query

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi,condensation in the pipes seems to be a bit of a problem,I can ride my bike 10kms,park on side stand & have droplets of water on the ground from the lower left pipe.I have a mate with a GT550 that does the same thing,he's drilled small holes further down the pipes to get the moisture away,think the only remedy is to ride the bikes a longer distance,get them nice & hot to avoid a "rusty system" internally & baffle plates letting go because of rust? Cheers, Roger.
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi camper, (or anyone)
how do you find the Delkevic's? I think I may need a set if I still have a Kettle past my 65th Birthday, 2016! LOL My pipes o.k. at the moment,but can see signs of fatigue on the inside of the two lower pipes where they have welded the inner baffle plates,a slight split appearing? Cheers, Roger.
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
camper

Post by camper »

hi roger,

i dont rate the delkevic pipes at all had problems with the left lower pipe rubbing against the chain every time the back end went up and down,the chroming on the screw clamps on to the barrels is crap and going rusty and the exhaust itself is going rusty the set of exhaust has not been on the bike a year.i should of kept my originall exhaust.the delkevic exhaust sounds tinny and thy are made in china.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Cheers,sorry to hear that you are less than happy with the Delkevic's!! When I first read about them I thought fantastic news.as the Kawasaki 900 & Honda Four boys had been well catered for many a year with what appeared to be good quality aftermarket pipes!! Is there nothing you can do legally to get some compensation,lot of money you've outlayed to have these sorts of problems & not be happy with the pipes! We have pretty tough laws in Australia in regards to consumers rights. Cheers Roger.
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
camper

Post by camper »

ive contacted delkevic regarding the pipes and thy said to send them back and thy will investigate the trouble is thy did not say how long it would be to sort out could be months and i am without a bike,i thought thy would just send out a replacement set but thy dont keep theses exhaust on the shelf,as thy only orders the exhaust when people pays a deposit to buy a set.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

G'day camper,NO bike over a Summer,dos'nt sound to good! I take it you sold your original pipes on? If as you say they (Delkevic)can't do anything for you for months your stuck with the less than perfect set? You mention the chain touching the lower pipe,over bumpy roads,how are the swing arm bushes & chain adjustment,as there should be a far amount of clearance between chain & pipe to prevent this from happening? Cheers, Roger.
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
camper

Post by camper »

hi roger,

the lower exhaust is ok now i bent the mounting plate outwards,i borrowed i left lower exhaust from a mate of mine and compared the two exhaust and the delkevic pipes was not bent over far enough so i put it in between 2 pieces of wood in a vice and bent it to the same shape as the other one and fitted it to the bike and it cleared the chain with plenty of clearance but the trouble is the chain has took the chrome of from where it was rubbing before i noticed it but it was to late,so what i will do is send the set back to delkevic in the winter when i takes the bike of the road.
grand tourer

Post by grand tourer »

Gotta agree with Roger on the condensation issues it's something I've touched on in an earlier post and is a big problem that most of us are unaware of, you would'nt believe just how much water you can produce in the form of condensation whilst the bike is sat ticking over on a cold day. I would strongly recommend the drain holes as when you see the drips it alerts you to the fact that the condensation actually is there, I wonder how many bikes go into winter hibernation with water in the exhausts? My 550 A has the holes drilled in the inner section at the lowest point with stainless self tappers screwed in which is a nice touch and are totally out of sight on the bike, they also have no loose baffle plates or corrosion. the loose baffle plates are a result of the corrosion taking place between the baffle plate and the inner wall of the exhast eventually breaking the spot weld.Unfortunately as good as modern oils are fore engine protection they offer little protection to the exhaust as the low ash technology means they burn too clean leaving very little residue for exhaust protection. Its certainly a problem that will require some looking into to protect the remaining original exhausts that we have on our bikes.
Andy
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Hi ,old post I know but the internet's slow over here In France , :lol: I didn't even know they had waddling in them ,you learn something new every day
MrB