Taper roller head bearings

PaulD738

Taper roller head bearings

Post by PaulD738 »

I seem to remember fitting taper roller bearings to the steering head isn't a straight swap?
Does this also apply to the T500 and what is involved?
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
BAZ

Re: Taper roller head bearings

Post by BAZ »

Dont know but why change them........
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

The standard ones where s*****d Baz, I've never seen a bearing set so worn!
I've fitted taper rollers to modern bikes before and the difference was really noticeable so I thought while the bike was in bits I may as well fit them.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Thanks Al, nice to spend an hour in your man cave today. Just a shame your Hippo is poorly :cry:

mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

PaulD738 wrote:I seem to remember fitting taper roller bearings to the steering head isn't a straight swap?
Does this also apply to the T500 and what is involved?

Or similar post here http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... 3890#p3890
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Mmm, problems today. The bearing kit I bought off eBay is the wrong size?
The supplied bearings are 48x25x15 and 48x27x14. The o/d is correct at 48mm but my steering stem is actually 25.4mm or one imperial inch? There is a removable sleeve against the bottom yolk which is 28mm dia.
At first I thought the stem had been turned down for some reason but the finish leads me to believe me it's standard and my parts book shows the sleeve listed as part of the inner race (part # 51611-16500)
It's a bit of a long shot but has anyone got a T500 steering stem they could measure up for me?

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

That sounds about right. Click on the links in the replies above and there's some diagrams of what to do. I used a length of emery tape to 'file' the stem of both 550s.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

PaulD738 wrote:Mmm, problems today. The bearing kit I bought off eBay is the wrong size?
The supplied bearings are 48x25x15 and 48x27x14. The o/d is correct at 48mm but my steering stem is actually 25.4mm or one imperial inch? There is a removable sleeve against the bottom yolk which is 28mm dia.
At first I thought the stem had been turned down for some reason but the finish leads me to believe me it's standard and my parts book shows the sleeve listed as part of the inner race (part # 51611-16500)
It's a bit of a long shot but has anyone got a T500 steering stem they could measure up for me?
That's what happens when you carry out unnatural acts :lol: Fit the proper ball bearings. Any one who says they aren't as good as taper don't know how to pre-load 'em. The last set lasted for40 year ! That'll make you 120 before they need doing again :lol: :lol: :lol: :tw
itsnotateapot

Post by itsnotateapot »

It's a bit of a long shot but has anyone got a T500 steering stem they could measure up for me?[/quote]
Yes
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.