GT185 oil issues

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Eastham

GT185 oil issues

Post by Eastham »

I have asked regarding the oil consumption or lack of it before, but I can’t find the post.
So please bear with me as I’m getting paranoid about it.

I have had my 185 since July last year, but didn’t start riding it till October( CBT) anyhow the 2 stroke oil level hardly moves, I’ve had the settings looked at and they are correct, I filled the oil up to a level I can see with the removal of the filler cap( see attached photo) and after my last ride of about 30 miles, I’m convinced it hasn’t moved.

Now here is the stupid question time, when I first bought it, I checked on the air filters and as should be they were very wet with oil, today I checked again and now they are almost dry, so can the engine get sufficient lubrication from the air filters if the oil pump is not working, to date I think I have done about 400 miles on it, but as said the oil level in my opinion has not moved and certainly not from the last ride.

So can anyone help with my paranoia as I’m getting to the point I’m scared to ride it.

Many thanks in advance
Neil
B3ABFA5D-AF38-4E0D-9C01-9EF0A517438B.jpeg
barney01

Re: GT185 oil issues

Post by barney01 »

Hi
Firstly the oil on the air filters are nothing to do with the oil pump. They are dampened with oil manualy as part of the bike service. The oil assists the filter to trap dust and dirt.
The 2T oil in the tank will not go down significantly with just a 30 mile ride. The flow rate is minimal really and a tank will last hundreds of miles, otherwise it would need to be filled constantly. You are'nt the first person to be worried its normal until you get to know the bike.
As long as its setup correctly and runs well dont worry.
I just top my tank up every couple of hundred miles. :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
slosher

Post by slosher »

I generally do my oil checks after a good ride out and if need be top up ;) Got caught out on one once relying on visual through the level glass :oops: a guy on the forum Ade suggested mine looked low and it was :o i was seeing the red in the glass that had stained over 40yrs he said he did his checks after a ride,i got lucky that day we were still 40 odd mile from home so it's always my policy now knowing the oil is full on the next ride as Barney suggests should be good for a good 300 odd miles.
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Eastham

Post by Eastham »

First off, Thanks Barney
I did realize that the air filters oil was for that, but thought as the oil in the tank wasn’t shifting I was just trying to understand why and all sorts were going through my head, I have done about 400 miles and the oil level never seemed to move at the viewing glass level, that is why I topped it up to the top, for easy of viewing, I will try and get a few more miles over the weekend and hopefully I will see some movement.

On another oil issue :D I take the oil I soak the filters in is the same 2T that I us in the oil tank?
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Yes that is correct. Not too much now just a little squeezed out. :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Optedout

Post by Optedout »

Draw a thin line on the side of the oil tank with a sharpie or felt tip pen to mark the
oil level and monitor from there.
Eastham

Post by Eastham »

Optedout wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:22 pm Draw a thin line on the side of the oil tank with a sharpie or felt tip pen to mark the
oil level and monitor from there.
There are already 2 on there from the previous owner and that’s what got me thinking the level never moves, maybe I have been expecting the level to drop more rapidly, but without having a bike with an oil tank(my other bike is a pre mix) it’s been a little worrying, I’m a little less concerned with the advice given, but I suppose until you know, you don’t :D

Thanks for the added help,
malky

Post by malky »

My GT185 hardly uses any oil as well - filled it up when I rebuilt it about five years ago done a fair few miles on it since and the level has dropped about half an inch thats all
Eastham

Post by Eastham »

malky wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:36 am My GT185 hardly uses any oil as well - filled it up when I rebuilt it about five years ago done a fair few miles on it since and the level has dropped about half an inch thats all
Thats music to my ears and exactly what I want to hear, the beauty of forums is there are many folk out there who are willing to help and advise.

Thanks again for the added help
Eastham

Post by Eastham »

Further to my worries about oil consumption or lack of it :shock:
I went for a short ride today(17 miles) and took a couple pictures of before and after, I’m not sure if the level has dropped ?
On my return I noticed there is an air bubble in one of the oil lines, should I be worried about and do I need to get it bled?
Sorry about the nooob questions, but I am just that :D

The last pic is the before ride,
F0679938-32E4-4A7F-90DB-52A2A3E41FE0.jpeg
Attachments
648DAEF0-61F5-4AFF-95E1-CE3CCAC262DA.jpeg
351469D8-578E-48DC-9125-2CCD0523C69B.jpeg