Naughty step GT550B

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
barney01

Re: Naughty step GT550B

Post by barney01 »

Yes mike there are 2 factors on both starter clutch gears i have. The final edge has a bevel(no good for gripping) and a groove before the actual gear wheel. I had not noticed it until i tried the bigger bearing :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Alan,
Understood - you’ve got neat & tidy. It’s a disease, you know. I’ve had it for years!
Barney, all,
I’ve had visitors today, when the small box from Marcel arrived. So I’ve not been able to do a full test.
What I have done is to do a quick trial fit. Found I only needed to leave out the slim circlip which holds the slim bearing in. Kept the thrust bearing which is good as I was concerned that interface must be noisy without it. I can’t see how the one way bearing can go anywhere so not convinced it’s essential.
Put it together on the engine, then the thrust washer between the clutch basket & clutch inner, then the tab washer & nut, just done up lightly.
Was delighted to find that every press of the starter button was rewarded by the motor turning over, continuing until the button was released. Noises sound appropriate. Feel optimistic, but wary!
Cheers, Mike
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Great news Mike! Keep us updated :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Folks,
Just reporting back: that wider one-way starter clutch bearing has completely fixed my starting problems! I left out just the final internal circling. The one way bearing can’t go anywhere. No odd noises, just a crisp, instant start then the usual swishy sounds of a happy triple, with clean & balanced carburettors.

Obviously I don’t know whether there’ll be problems with the one way bearing lacking a circlip, but I’ve no reason to expect it.

If you cannot get the original part, give this a go. Not only is the superseded version more weighty. It looks more than merely 2mm wider; the little sprags (or whatever the pivoting pieces are called) which have to handle the sudden loading, are also more substantial.

In going through the carbs, I found slow leaks in both floats in the right carb. The centre & left carb throttle lifting rod rubber bellows had failed. Carbs were also visibly out of balance. Not surprisingly, the bike not only starts much more easily but it runs better, too!

Cheers,
Mike
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

There may be an alternative to starter issues Mike.
More info 'very soon'. ;)
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

A bit cryptic, Alan. But after all this time, if I’ve learned anything, it’s patience ;)
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Folks,
Now I’ve replaced the one way bearing in the starter clutch, I can start the 550B dead easily. It’ll even do that trick where you toggle the Run/Stop switch off then on again, thumb the starter button without touching the throttle, and it’s running again.
Did another 25miles on it yesterday, so over 150 on the new engine. I think it’s off the naughty step now!
I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not enjoying four bikes as much as I’d enjoy three. I burn through too much time time tinkering.
If anyone is seriously interested in acquiring a very detailed restoration of a low mileage U.K. registered GT550B (it had just under 13,000 miles on the speedo before I put NOS clocks on it), do let me know. I’ll accept £6000, no offers. That’s way less than I’d expect to get on a well known auction site. If it doesn’t go, I’ll put it on said auction site in the spring.
I’ll probably put it on the buy/sell/exchange page with a load of pictures & description.
Cheers!
Mike
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

That's a shame Mike, but I understand. I intend thinning my 'herd' so that I spend less time tinkering and more time riding too.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

It is, Alan, but it’s time it had a new owner who doesn’t have the baggage I have with it. It’s so nicely done that it still takes my breath away, but I’ll enjoy fewer, more, if that makes sense. Thank you for all your help over time with it. It’s a good thing that we’ve an honest to goodness 550 nut on the forum :o
Cheers, Mike
Ps: The bike is under offer now, so watch this space.
2strokejohnny

Post by 2strokejohnny »

defo sold now :D
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny