Another stupid question 380 carbs

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
arthur

Another stupid question 380 carbs

Post by arthur »

So like it says stupid question
what is the minimum height of the slides on a 75 gt 380 If you look into the rear of the carbs ?
I have been footleing around with the balancing and now she wont start and floods into the pipes.
I think I have cocked something up as she would start first kick but the engine jumped about like a harley ticking over :lol:
Hence the balancing effort, but I think I have dropped the slides to far and they are now cutting off the air flow and choke everything pouring neat petrol down the exhausts and all over the floor.
barney01

Re: Another stupid question 380 carbs

Post by barney01 »

Look here for adjusting tickover/throttle valve height.
http://www.3cyl.com/tripleed/suzigtcarb/35.jpg
If the bike wont start after say 5 or 6 kicks stop. If you keep kicking it will keep sucking petrol into the cylinders and even more if the choke is on.
Just want to confirm something. When you first try to start the bike put the choke on but when you kick it over leave the throttle alone as if you turn it it stops the enrichment process.
You also need to check your fuel level in float bowl is not too high. Another thing check the floats are not sticking or punctured causing them to sink.
A check of the float needle valves may be advised too to make sure they are switching off properly.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
arthur

Post by arthur »

Hi Barney She was starting and revving up fine till I messed with the slide height in a attempt to balance /Synch up the carbs to smooth out the tick over.
But as I say I think I have gone down to far so I will have another attempt tomorrow and go back to where I started .

I'M getting good at removing the carbs , good job I have time on my hands at the moment although everything stops for POP MASTER!!!!
arthur

Post by arthur »

So I pulled the carbs measured the gap below the slide and re set put it all back together (.Is the measurement link supplied suitable for both types of carb set up ?)
Choke on kick Nothing!
Crack the throttle a smidge ...kick... OFF SHE GOES This would suggest not enough air flow and she is still reluctant to tick over much below 1500 rpm even when hot left alone she will gradually bog and die and the air screws seem to have little effect.
And when revved she fluffs BLUUURGH THEN picks up Ring -a- Ding :D

Pulling the plugs the left hand one is sooty but not wet the others are clean (and they are new)
I'm thinking now the left choke is not seating off properly maybe I will have to pull the plunger or disable it .
On the good side I managed to smoke up and down the lane a bit ALL the gears select and the gear indicator works so I have had some success .
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Yep. Sticking choke piston would cause the bike to be rough at idle. Its a very common problem. I take it the airbox is clean and clear?
Of course the pilot jet and pilot circuit has a heavy influence on tickover and up to 1/4 throttle position
With regard to the airscrews they are very slow to react to turning in and out.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
arthur

Post by arthur »

Hi back again after once again pulling the carbs off OOOO ERRR MISSUS
I discovered the left hand choke piston is missing the (for want of a better word) the tiny TIT that blocks off the petrol gallery in the tube base and what is left of the seal is rock hard no wonder the left pot is running rich
I'm going to cut a viton seal and see if I can refurb it
Biking on a Budget :D
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Good luck with your seal. If that doesn't work out
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-CHOKE ... SwdGhbGqUE :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE