GT550 twin disc upgrade....again!

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Harrymail

Re: GT550 twin disc upgrade....again!

Post by Harrymail »

canaletto5 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:03 pm Hi Dave

They aren't the same. The machined faces of the mounting holes are opposite to help identify which is which. The castings around the pin sleeves are also mirrored, if that makes sense? I actually don't know if you can make a right hand carrier fit a left hand caliper but i just wouldn't risk it where brakes are concerned. Happy to hear if any one else has managed to achieve it safely. Kev
When I bought my 550A 12 years ago, first thing I did was change the front disc pads. It has twin front discs, done by the first owner when it was 1 year old. I found that a RH caliper mount had been used on the LH side. The extended casting on the pin sleeves had been cut off, and then used as a spacer on the other side of the mount, making it left handed. The caliper pin held this spacer in place. It was also hidden by the dust seal. It had been like this for 30 years without issue. I did however get a LH caliper mount for peace of mind. So the mount can be modified if you need to, though I didn't fancy leaving it like that myself.

Paul
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Just fit GS750/1000 calipers, like on my 550 and Hippo.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
pfg49

Post by pfg49 »

Which years are suitable Alan?
pfg49

Post by pfg49 »

Harrymail wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:49 am
canaletto5 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:03 pm Hi Dave

They aren't the same. The machined faces of the mounting holes are opposite to help identify which is which. The castings around the pin sleeves are also mirrored, if that makes sense? I actually don't know if you can make a right hand carrier fit a left hand caliper but i just wouldn't risk it where brakes are concerned. Happy to hear if any one else has managed to achieve it safely. Kev
When I bought my 550A 12 years ago, first thing I did was change the front disc pads. It has twin front discs, done by the first owner when it was 1 year old. I found that a RH caliper mount had been used on the LH side. The extended casting on the pin sleeves had been cut off, and then used as a spacer on the other side of the mount, making it left handed. The caliper pin held this spacer in place. It was also hidden by the dust seal. It had been like this for 30 years without issue. I did however get a LH caliper mount for peace of mind. So the mount can be modified if you need to, though I didn't fancy leaving it like that myself.

Paul
I can't see a problem with this, you're cutting one side shorter, no problem there, and using a spacer on the other side. You are compressing the spacer, and the pin locates it, so long as the dimensions are correct, what's the problem? Wheels generally have spacers and nobody calls that a bodge. One piece spacer mind, not a load of washers!
However as Alan says, GS calipers fit without modification.