Gt 550 M Stator

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Alan H

Re: Gt 550 M Stator

Post by Alan H »

Probably if you was on it......
canaletto5 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:13 pm If you find Rudolph,, let me know
Near the side panel badges, I suspect......
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

:oops: :lol:
rodent

Post by rodent »

Alan H wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:17 pm Replacements are available - I have some, but they're at home and I'm in Durham until Friday! Remember that the rotor is the bit that rotates, and the stator is the bit that doesn't!
You can 'wash' the stator coils in wd40 to get tbe black carbon off and it shouldn't hurt it. If you pm me your email address, I'll send you a copy of an early service book with lots of specs and test details in. Loads still relevant to later models.
You test between the tracks and it will be low resistance, and from track to earth (or non track bit of the rotor) and that should be very high resistance. Very low resistance beteen any 2 yellows on the totor, and high resistance between any yellow and earth. Can't remember the numbers offhand, you'll have to wait til Friday!
Lots of info if you dp a search on 'charging' or 'alternators'. Basically all the Suzy triples work the dame.

Not to take anything away from wd-40, but you can buy the correct Electrical Contact Cleaner fluid in an aerosol can cheaply enough :)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Contact cleaner is good for cleaning contacts. The name's a giveaway.
WD 40 cleans most grime off electrical parts without damaging them. Loosens the verdigris or other build up and shifts it away without hurting what's underneath.
The original name was 'Rocket WD40' and was developed for/by a missile building company in the us in the 50s iirc. I've been using it since the late 60s anyway.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated