Buying a GT550J

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
simonz1red

Buying a GT550J

Post by simonz1red »

I'm looking to buy a GT550J with a drum front brake. Can anyone give me some useful tips on what to look out for and what common problems this model has? Cheers, Simon
itsnotateapot

Re: Buying a GT550J

Post by itsnotateapot »

Hi Simon welcome to the forum i am sure our resident 550 expert will be on soon, but in the meantime its nice to do a little intro about yourself, ie where you are from and your biking past.
Richard.
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
simonz1red

Post by simonz1red »

Hi Richard. Thanks for welcoming me warmly to the forum. I live in Bournemouth and have loved Japanese two strokes ever since I owned my first bike when I was 16, a Yamaha YG1. I've had numerous two and four strokes over the 50 years I've been on the road (yes, I'm that old) and the Suzukis I have had include a T200, a T250R and a T350R. I currently have another T350R (see photo) that needs some work doing to it but I will be selling it on as I want an up together GT550 hence this post. I'm looking forward to hearing from you all and I will let you know how I get on after looking at the GT550 that I have my eye on. Simon
Attachments
T350R.jpg
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum :D i have a 550J and can help if you spy a bike you are interested in. There are really not too many things to watch out for. The J/K model was quite different to the later models so if it is important to you that it is correct post a picture before you go and we can give you the heads up. Meanwhile this is a useful link with lots of info
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_ ... /index.php
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

If you want one, buy one. Later models are easier to maintain carbwise especially. But they are all nice.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Welcome to the forum Simon.
simonz1red

Post by simonz1red »

Thanks for all the advice to date. Here is the Gumtree link to the bike:-

https://www.gumtree.com/p/suzuki-motorb ... 1387522115

Does anything leap out to anyone as being wrong? I'm looking at the bike Saturday morning.
simonz1red

Post by simonz1red »

Looked at the 550J this morning. Wasn't as good cosmetically in the "flesh" as it looked in the photos. I was looking for one in a better condition (although it wasn't bad) and where I could be pretty sure the crank seals would be OK. I'll keep looking but I'm in no hurry as I can't get around the country to see examples until I retire next Spring, the GT550J is on my doorstep. I won't exclude the GT380 from my list.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

The bike seems intact and appears to have all the right parts on it.
The thing to factor in is the cost of crank seal replacement. If you are capable of stripping the engine down it will still cost you the thick end of £600 to replace them.
Remember the bike will start and run when the seals are shot. Just bear that in mind.
Good luck with your search
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
simonz1red

Post by simonz1red »

Thanks Barney. I really want a bike that is totally up together, I want to just ride it and enjoy it. I'll keep looking.