GT550 timing light

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Frankibaby7

GT550 timing light

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:D hi guys can anyone point me in the right direction for a timing light for the points on my GT550b want to make sure timings set ok before I mess with the carb setup , just been getting a rough idle ,and near stalling while sitting at the traffic lights . Cheers guys in advance :oops: :cry: :roll: :lol: :tw :lol:
Frankibaby :lol:
Alan H

Re: GT550 timing light

Post by Alan H »

Just use a multimeter across the points - ignition OFF and meter on ohms Franki.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:D ok Alan cheers big man :roll: :oops: :lol: :D
barney01

Post by barney01 »

This is the one I bought and have used for 10 years
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AccuSpark-Ti ... 890.l49292
Its great when you have any sort of misfire too. First thing i use to check that power to spark plug. You can also see if light is steady or erratic.
Above all remember these bikes are not highly tuned and will function very well close to the marks :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I use an old Gunsons strobe light I've since cars had points ignition 8-) you can get them on flea bay for about £20
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
slosher

Post by slosher »

PaulD738 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:05 am I use an old Gunsons strobe light
+1 very handy indeed,if you have a EU fitted though Frankie magnets just passing the triggers on center pot is generally ok as Barney says not the most highly tuned motor on the market just a quick check to verify with the strobe when i fitted a Boyer to the 550 :D
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:D ok excellent thanks very much guys appreciate the advice as usual, I did set up the points myself, and I thought I did a good job , just eying the propeller as it came round , looking for each set of points to open , I just think , because the bike keeps stalling it’s not exact, is it hard to check with a strobe light , do you have to connect to each individual HT lead as you check it , and why do you have to use a separate battery, not sure how that works , if anyone does pls guys , thank youooooooo :very much shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :tw
barney01

Post by barney01 »

If you use the same battery to power the strobe it interferes with the flash. I just pull my other bike pulled alongside.
Yes you just connect the sensor clip to each HT lead and move the points plate until the marks line up.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:D ok Barney really that easy ok I’ll try that this weekend, Alan swears by his multimeter but some of us aren’t as clever as him ha ha ha , thanks very much for the advice , what would I do without you great guys :shock: :lol: :tw :D :twisted: :D :D
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Paint the static pointer and the one on the "propeller" white to make the marks stand out better under the strobe light
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!