550 IMD Pistons

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
TGladders

550 IMD Pistons

Post by TGladders »

Afternoon all,

Has anyone tried IMD's new GT550 pistons? I was wondering how they compare to the Cruzin Image favourite

Also potentially looking for a re-bore and some TIG welding services in the Leamington Spa / Warwickshire area, any recommendations?

Cheers,
Tom
1974 GT550L
1976 PC50
2017 Ducati SSS
Alan H

Re: 550 IMD Pistons

Post by Alan H »

IMD did a rebore for the 550J last year and I can't fault them. They were still arranging the piston supplier at the time though, so not sure how that panned out. I used my last new set from the 'stash'.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
slosher

Post by slosher »

Hi Tom not used them personally but there reviews are excellent ;)

Have you not got that running yet :lol: :lol: :lol:
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Stevengt750

Post by Stevengt750 »

Hi Tom not sure what your plans are whether to do a rebore or not but I have a set of standard cruising image pistons from a 550 J model
Which I fitted and did about 80 miles before I decided to strip the engine again for crank seals and had a rebore at the same time don’t want much for them but only up in Harbury so quite close to Leamington. Also got quite a few engine and gearbox Parts which if you’re doing a rebuild might have something useful cheers Steve
TGladders

Post by TGladders »

Dave - Not not yet, decided to buy a house and renovate that instead :lol: Bought a Ducati to ride in the meantime though!

Hi Steve, thanks for that but I need to go 0.5 over with a rebore so standards are no good, where did you have your rebore done? Was it local to us?
1974 GT550L
1976 PC50
2017 Ducati SSS
Stevengt750

Post by Stevengt750 »

Han the rebore done at Rugby Motor engineers 35 York Street Rugby he did a fantastic job and was a nice chap to deal with however wanted some work done a couple of months ago and the phone number I used before went through to a private home and he said he was always getting phone calls , so not sure whether he’s still going as it was well over a year ago I last used him. I was thinking of going round to his unit to see if he was still there but haven’t got round to it yet.